Fabulous Fajitas!!

Do you ever get to the point where you're so absolutely sick of everything you cook you can't think of a thing to make for dinner?

Well that was me today.



I got off work at 3:00, ran a few errands, and then hit the grocery store hoping for some kind of inspiration.

Pork was out, beef was out, pasta was out, rice was out, salad was out - I just couldn't think of anything that appealed to me.

And then I remembered a conversation I had at lunch. One of the women I work with recently made fajitas...

Spicy, flavourful chicken cooked in a sizzling hot pan, sweet crunchy peppers and onions, cool creamy avocado, the spicy tang of salsa, and a dollop of sour cream.

The perfect meal for a busy Tuesday evening.



Armed with a plan, I made way to the produce section and picked up two limes, a jalapeno pepper, orange, yellow, and green peppers, an avocado, and a nice big bunch of fresh cilantro.



(Note to self... remember to plant cilantro in the herb garden next summer)

Then I picked up boneless, skinless chicken breasts, my favourite soft burrito wrappers and made my way to the check out.

The first thing I did when I got home - after greeting the dog and putting on my flannel pyjamas, was marinate the chicken.

To do so, you will need:

Marinade

* 1/4 cup beer
* 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp salt

Stir together beer, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, jalapeno pepper, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, cilantro, cumin, and salt; mix well.

Pour into a resealable plastic bag, or large bowl, add up to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breast, and mix until chicken is well coated. Marinate for 1 to 3 hours in the refrigerator.

In the meantime, slice your onion, and peppers.

Set aside.

Turn on Oprah - this last season has been amazing - put your feet up, and enjoy a little relaxation.



When you're just about ready to eat, heat two tbsp of olive oil in a skillet and sautee your peppers and onions until they're just beginning to turn a nice golden colour.



Add 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp fresh chopped basil.

Remove to a bowl and set aside in a warm place.

Using the same pan, sautee the marinated chicken over medium high heat until nicely browned.



To serve the fajitas, place pieces of chicken, a couple of spoons of vegetables, avocado slices, salsa, and a dollop of sour cream along the centre of a warmed flour tortilla.

Wrap and eat.

For printable recipe click HERE



Ole!!

Comments

  1. LYNDS...

    SOUNDS FABU, LOOKS DELISH, BUT I'D HAVE TO PASS ON THE BELL PEPPERS AND THE JALAPENO...EVERYTHING ELSE I COULD WORK WITH.

    VERY LITTLE SMELLS AS GOOD OR IS AS APPETIZING AS SIZZLING FAJITA FIXINGS THRU THE WHOLE HOUSE [RESTAURANT] ALL
    THE WAY TO THE SUPPER TABLE.

    I KNOW EVERYTHING WAS A SUCCESS 4 U ONCE AGAIN, KITCHEN WITCH.

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fajitas! It is easily in my top 5 favorite meals. And cilantro too! We plant cilantro every year, but we never get enough. This year, I am starting with seeds and planting a huge row.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do run out of things to make. Sometimes just the thought of cooking makes me want to throw myself on the floor. These fajitas look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndsay - I do quite often get that feeling when it just seems like nothing really appeals. These fajitas look like the absolutely perfect antidote - yum!!!
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment