Old Fashioned Spaghetti and Meatballs

I absolutely love Italian food and cooking and was on a quest for several years to find an amazing recipe for spaghetti and meatballs. I finally found what I was looking for at All Recipes.
















The original version of this incredible recipe can be found here. I have tweaked it somewhat to suit my tastes and I have to say, if you don't already have a recipe for spaghetti and meatballs, then by all means, try this one. For the printable recipe click HERE  or visit my easy to follow step by step video.



Ingredients

Meatballs
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef
  • 1 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
  • 1 tbsp fresh grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
Sauce
  • 3/4 cup diced white onion
  • 3 tsp minced garlic (app five cloves)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans organic Italian tomatoes
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (herb and garlic is good in this)
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 450 gram package spaghetti noodles
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, garlic powder, salt, onion powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
  2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the onion in olive oil until onion is translucent. When the onion begins to soften, add the garlic and continue to saute, just until the garlic becomes fragrant (about 1 minute more)
  3. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar, basil, pepper and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes. Stir in tomato paste. Add the meatballs, cover, and simmer 45 minutes more.
  4.  When ready to serve, bring 5 litres of water to a boil. Just as it begins to boil, add 1/4 cup salt to the water and 1, 450 gram package of spaghetti noodles. Stir. Boil for 7 minutes until al dente -which means the pasta is soft but still has "bite" and is not mushy. Drain into a colander but do not rinse.
  5. Ladle a generous amount of the hot tomato sauce over the pasta and stir to let it absorb. 
  6. Serve on a large plate with more sauce and the meatballs ladled over.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com 

Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest
 

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Goodness, Lyndsay, that is a plate of perfection. I'm going to thinking about those all day, and I'm stopping to pick up some ground chuck to make my meatballs tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I have started cooking my meat in the sauce, my spaghetti has gotten much better. And can I just say that your dinnerware is gorgeous. I got a 1950s service from my brother over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsay, I am so glad to see that you use a little sugar in the sauce. I have long-held that the sweetness of sugar counters too much acidity in the tomatoes!
    Looks yummy!
    Angela


    http://amcinnisartworks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment