Cooking with Giada - Chicken Piccata

Hey all, and welcome to another installment of Cooking with Giada. My plan: to cook my way through the recipes of one of my favourite Food Network chefs, Giada De Laurentiis.

This recipe for Chicken Piccata comes from Everyday Italian and is truly so fabulous I could probably eat it everyday!

Crunchy, tender chicken drizzled with a lemony butter sauce and served over angel hair pasta...



For original recipe click HERE

Ingredients




* 2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
* Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* All-purpose flour, for dredging
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* 1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
* 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped

Directions

Okay, the first thing you want to do is butterfly your chicken - which is a nice way of saying you'll be spreading it out flat (butterfly like) and then pounding the heck out of it with a rolling pin until it's nice and skinny.



Next, season the chicken with salt and pepper and then dredge the chicken in flour and shake off excess.



In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes.

When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes.



Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.

Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

**Optional** I changed the recipe a little by adding another 1/2 cup chicken stock to the sauce and after whisking, I saved some sauce to drizzle on the chicken and tossed al dente angel hair pasta into the rest with about 1/4 cup grated parmesan.



I plated the dish by placing the chicken on top of the pasta with a side of fresh peas. The remaining sauce was drizzled over everything.



In all honesty this one, like all the others I've tried so far gets four out of four stars!

Chicken Piccata - everyday magic that will make your life that much tastier.

Bippity

Boppity

Boo!



This recipe is linked to: Brenda's Canadian Kitchen: Cookbok Sundays

Cookbook Sundays Badge

Comments

  1. I do love chicken piccata, but have only had it in frozen dinners. I know, don't judge!

    I liked it though.

    So what is up with the capers? I tasted lemon, yes. But capers? Are these truly necessary for the dish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're just a nice add on. Not necessary though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you used PC spaghettini nests - I LOVE President's Choice, lol. I use so many of their products. And I just love Giada too. I have her Family Dinners cookbook and have made a number of recipes from it and they've all been a hit. I have no doubt this dish is a 4 out of a 4. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious and thank you so much for sharing this with Cookbook Sundays. Enjoy the rest of your weekend! P.S. I really like capers......I always have a jar in my fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brenda :-)I am a ture President's Choice junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious. Pasta nests? I've not tried this. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're sonderful little things from Superstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can you go wrong with lemon and capers? This looks delicious and what a quick meal as well. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a really good recipe Melinda. Easy and tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lyndsay - you're right - clearly we are culinary soulmates. We seem to be cooking and liking all the same things - I had this recipe of Giada's bookmarked to make in the next week or so. One of my favourite Giada recipes is her Chicken Milanese with Tomato & Fennel Sauce - if you haven't tried that one yet, you must :-)

    Eat Pray Love is such a great book - I think my city is Barcelona.

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You'll have to pop by today's blog - it's another Giada recipe that turned out great.

    Meanwhile, I will try the recipe you recommended.

    My city is New Orleans :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found you via Brenda's Cookbook Sundays, and I love your blog - I'm your newest follower! I love chicken piccata, and yours looks so delicious, I don't have Giada's cookbook, but will add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Louanne, welcome to my blog and nice to meet you! I have tried several of Giada's recipes and liked them all. They're listed in my "Cooking with Giada" section

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment