Cooking with Giada Recipe Roulette Style - Pork Chops with Onion Marmellata

I have to admit, I've been inspired to do this whole "Cooking with Giada" thing after seeing the previews for "Julie and Julia" - I read the book years ago as well as followed the blogs and always thought cooking through a cookbook was a great idea.

To see the trailer just click HERE.

Doesn't the movie look fabulous? I adore Meryl Streep and to see her transform into Julia Child is an absolute treat. Haven't seen the movie yet but I suspect it will be a favourite.

So armed with that as inspiration, and desperately sick of everything in my usual cooking repertoire, I thought I'd go out on a limb and try recipes I normally wouldn't.

And what better way to do so than to play what I like to call "Cookbook Russian Roulette" - where you randomnly open your cookbook and commit to trying whatever recipe you happen to be on.

Thankfully, there are no recipes for tripe in Giada's cookbooks.

The other day I held the book in front of me, closed my eyes, and whispered to the great gods of cooking, "Lead me to the perfect recipe for today."

And they did.

Pork Chops smothered in this wonderfully fresh tasting, orange flavoured, chutney like topping that is also absolutely delicious the next night on chicken.

For the recipe, click HERE



More and more I've come to appreciate the beauty of using fresh, local ingredients. The Giada recipes are wonderful because they've given me new insights into flavouring and how to use herbs and kitchen magic I traditionally would not have thought of.

***

So how about you, wanna play some Recipe Roulette tonight?

I'm game if you are!

Knowing my love of the South and all things southern, The Poolboy bought me a cookbook called "Beyond Grits and Gravy" The South's All Time Favourite Recipes."

I've had the book for almost a year and haven't tried a thing so....

Picking it up, prayer to the great gods of cooking and then...

Skillet Squash! Oh my - it looks good.

I'm committed to cooking up a pan of skillet squash for Monday's dinner and then blog about it.

How about you? Any Recipe Rouletter's out there?

It might just bubble into a charming meal...

***

If you're still looking for something to read, don't forget to stop by my other blog A Fabulously Good Life for today's post: They're Like Over ripe cherries with a hint of limburger cheese

Comments

  1. I don't cook often, especially since there's no man around to enjoy my cooking, but when I do cook I tend to cook the same things. I should invest in a cookbook, since I don't have one, so that when Walter comes home from Iraq I can make him something delicious ever night forever. He's from Mississippi, so mayhaps I'll have to look into a southern style cookbook. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know how my recipe turns out. Paula Dean's cookbooks are probably a good bet for southern cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do cook, every night, and have been doing this for 41 plus years. To say I am sick of my "repitoire" is putting it VERY mildly!!!!!! This recipe roulette sounds like fun! I am going to have to try it and will let you know what I come up with. NEXT week cause we have house guests this week! Love ya girl, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodie Pinky! I'm going to do this every week. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment