Mave's Summer Greens with Hazelnut Oil Vinaigrette

I took prawns out for dinner tonight with the intention of making a fabulous lemon prawn risotto, but with the heat of the day steadily climbing, I knew I was going to have to re-think tonight's dinner.

Armed with google, a garden filled with fresh ingredients, and a brand new container of hazelnut oil (our tiny general store and farmer's market rock big time - I picked up the hazelnut oil on a routine trip for shallots last week) and decided that salad would be the thing.

So the first thing I did was google hazelnut vinaigrette.

Vinaigrette because besides full fat three cheese ranch salad dressing by Kraft, I HATE processed salad dressings.

So I'm always on the lookout for recipes I can make myself.

And people, tonight I scored!

I found a wonderful recipe.

Hazelnut Vinaigrette

1 clove garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons hazelnut oil
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Mince garlic; add salt and Dijon mustard; whirl drizzling in raspberry vinegar, honey, hazelnut oil, and olive oil. Store, covered, in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

Note: By gradually whisking or blending the oil into the vinegar, you create an emulsion (a mixture of two liquids that usually don't combine smoothly.)

Using that as my base, I built the most delicious salad using:

  • Two cups prawns (1/2 cup per salad) that were sauteed in butter, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and minced garlic. (After sauteeing I refrigerated them to cool.)
  • Baby beet greens
  • Spinach
  • Baby arugula
  • Two stalks diced celery
  • Two diced green onions
  • One whole avacado, diced
  • One can mandarin oranges (without juice)
  • 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese.
To assemble:

Toss all the ingredients up with about 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette (use more or less depending on preference)

And then enjoy!



Mave's Summer Greens with Hazelnut Oil Vinaigrette, Kitchen Magic at it's best!

Bippity

Boppity

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

  1. I don't know how I feel about feta cheese. I've never had any kind of crumbly cheese before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the looks of this dressing, Maven. What a perfect summer meal! Looks like we're finally heading into dinner-salad weather here too. I'm glad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Blog is amazing. I love the music and content. Keep up the great work.

    Buon appetito!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou so MUCH! I can't tell you how much I appreciate that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, I love a great salad in the summer! Can you believe how hot it's been outside?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment