Pan Seared Balsamic Scallops and Spinach

I've been in heaven these last few days while on holidays.



Realizing how amazing life would be if I didn't have to work full time.

Not to say I don't like or appreciate my job - I do - it means a lot to know the difference we make in the lives of others. But holiday time gives me a chance to be selfish and to wonder what it would be like to live life just for me and my family.

To sink all the creative energy I put into my career and the people we help into my garden, my home, my cooking, the people I love...

And my writing.

*sigh*

But I'm a believer that life flows as it's supposed to and that sometimes the gifts we're given get used in ways we don't always expect.

All this deep thought on a blog about grilled scallops.

I know.

It's just that this is where my head's been at the last couple of days. Understanding that I'm pretty much at the halfway point in my life and wondering what the next half will be about.

Realizing I don't want to waste any time.

Believing there might still be time to make other dreams come true.

And so it goes.

Today the PB and I went shopping for groceries and I found myself fixated on filling the cart with all things Mediterranean.

More and more I've adopted the mediterranean style of eating, enjoying fish, seafood, tomatoes, greens, garlic, olive oil, and of course, red wine, while I try to stay away from processed foods, refined sugars and carbs.

Some weeks it's a slippery slope - like our last foray at the grocery store when the PB and I went on empty stomachs and filled our carts like we were on our way to a ten week beer bash.

But today we both made great choices and they culminated in trying a lovely new recipe this evening from Better Homes and Gardens

Pan Seared Balsamic Scallops and Spinach.



Recipe

For printable recipe click HERE

* 1 lb sea scallops, fresh or frozen
* 2 tablespoons flour
* 1-2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
* 1 tablespoon oil

* 1 (10 ounce) package prewashed spinach
* 1 tablespoon water
* 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
* 1/4 cup cooked bacon, pieces

Rinse scallops and pat dry with paper towel.

In a large ziploc bag mix the flour and cajun seasoning.

Add scallops, toss, coating well.

In a large skillet over medium heat warm the oil.

Add the scallops and cook for approximately 6 minutes until browned and the scallops are opaque.

Remove scallops from skillet, keep warm.

Add spinach to skillet and sprinkle with water.

Cover and cook over medium high heat until spinach is wilted; about 2 minutes.

Drizzle spinach with vinegar and toss well to coat.

Add scallops and heat throughly.

Sprinkle with bacon pieces.

***

This recipe had all the right elements for me.

The sweetness of the balsamic vinegar perfectly complimented the crispiness of the seared scallops and the freshness of spinach pulled right from the garden.



We had the most lovely evening.

Starting things off with my new favourite martini The Frisky Mary




From my friend Divah on a Diet at Beach Eats.

People, if you enjoy a bloody Mary or Caesar then this is your drink - only amped up by about a thousand percent.

The freshness of the tomatoes, the perfect blend of vegetables, seasoning, and vodka...

Don't listen to me, just go on over and try the recipe for yourself. But make sure when you do that you have a martini shaker that's roomy enough to properly muddle everything. Otherwise I might recommend muddling in a seperate container and then dumping it all in.

Anyboo, in the spirit of my deep seated belief that a magical life is available to everyone, I wish you all the most wonderful and creative of weeks.

Bippity

Boppity

Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner


Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Aw, aren't you sweet for giving my Frisky Mary a shout-out?! Thank you! I'm so happy you liked and knowing you did has made my day. Hooray! Good point about needed a large enough shaker too.

    Scallops look fabulous as well. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this drink! I'm going to make up a big batch the next time my book club comes over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! Now that's the kind of book club meeting I can get behind! ;)

    Actually, I'm in a book club to and love it. We've been together for more than 10 years ... though usually we have wine and I'd so much prefer these martinis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I are living strange country mouse/city mouse blizarro realities - LOL!

    I too have been in a book club for ten years. Our first meeting was Oct 1998. And we usually drink wine - but I've been able to talk the gals into a red shoe martini in the past and I know they'd all like this.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment