Honey Mustard Chicken and Lemon Almond Rice

Hello everyone, and welcome to Fast Times at Healthy High here on the Kitchen Witch.

Why?

Because for the next month I'm going to be exploring the "magic of the vanishing waistline" by keeping my focus on healthier meals.

Starting with tonight's dinner of honey mustard grilled chicken - a recipe I adapted slightly from All Recipes, and a FABULOUS mixture for homemade, preservative free, lemon almond rice.

Not exactly fancy, I know, but quick, easy and flavourful for a weeknight meal - which is what I'm looking for now that I'm back on the better health train.

Woo Woo!!!

Take that Mary Murphy!

My goal: To take ten pounds off through healthier eating and exercise over the next few months without depriving myself of flavour.

To get things started, I love the following idea of mixing a bunch of dry ingredients together to flavour rice.

This was another recipe I got from All Recipes and adapted because I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. The adapted recipe, however, was a hit so it's definitely something you can play with.



Here's my version of Lemon Almond Rice

For Printable Recipe Click HERE

* 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
* 4 1/2 teaspoons dill weed
* 1 tsp onion salt
* 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
* 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

INGREDIENTS for each batch of rice:

* 2 cups chicken broth
* 1 cup long grain rice
* 1 tablespoon butter or margarine (optional - I omitted the butter in mine and it turned out fine)
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Combine the first eight ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 months.

To prepare rice: In a saucepan, bring broth and 3 tablespoons mix to a boil. Add the rice, butter and lemon peel. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Yield: 3-4 servings per batch.

Honey Mustard Chicken

For printable recipe click HERE



This turned out really good.

I doctored it up a little more by slicing after grilling and drizzling with chutney. Delicious, but not necessary.

* 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup honey
* 2 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
* 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* Peach Chutney to top (optional)

Preheat the grill for medium heat.

In a shallow bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and steak sauce. Set aside a small amount of the honey mustard sauce for basting, and dip the chicken into the remaining sauce to coat.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Grill chicken over indirect heat for 18 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until juices run clear. Baste occasionally with the reserved sauce during the last 10 minutes.

Watch carefully to prevent burning!

And that's all there is to it.

This morning I got myself up and out of bed, ate some oatmeal, and then hit the pool for an hour before work.

When I get home I'll be making another recipe of Giada's - this time for healthy salmon with whole wheat spaghetti.

I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

Until then, here's wishing you health, happiness and, of course, lots of magic...

Comments

  1. Sounds like you're armed with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're armed with inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fast Times at Healthy High. I love it. :]

    I love flavorful, and I love quick and easy! The lemon almond rice sounds spectacular. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is very easy and straight forward. The rice mix will be a long term keeper!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment