Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

In honour of this week's countdown to my cook off in The Real Women of Philadelphia, I thought I would re-post one of my all time favourite recipes featuring cream cheese.

Try this - I guarantee your family will love it!

***

When I arrived home from work today, I embraced the more comforting and non-technological side of life. First, getting into flannel pyjamas, and then lighting my favourite cinnamon and apple secnted candles as I prepared to make dinner.

More and more I am realizing the importance of simple comforts; like creating an evening meal that invites loved ones to come together at the end of the day to share and connect.

It's also so much fun to find a recipe in a book or another blog that intrigues you.

Last week I spotted a recipe on Diary of a Recipe Addict for Baked Chicken Taquitos and knew I had to try it.



















These deliciously crispy and crunchy taquitos have a warm and flavourful creamy chicken and cheese centre that satisfies the senses with every delicious bite.

Served alongside a salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, and buttermilk dressing, this quick and easy to prepare meal was the perfect thing for a busy Wednesday.

Better still, I'm sure it could be frozen as a make ahead dish for the holidays.

Here's what you do...

For printable recipe click here

Ingredients
  • 1/3 c. (3 oz) Philly Light cream cheese
  • 1/4 c. green salsa (I used the regular salsa I had on hand it was fine)
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion salt
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
  • 2 Tbsp. sliced green onions
  • 2 c. shredded cooked chicken (I poach mine in water, a garlic clove, and a little salt for this recipe)
  • 1 c. KRAFT Mexican blend shredded cheese
  • 8 Flour Tortillas (soft taco size)
  • Kosher Salt
  • Extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray
Heat oven to 425* Lightly coat baking sheet with extra virgin olive oil or cooking spray.

Heat cream cheese in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so it is soft and easy to stir. Add salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic. Stir to combine, then add cilantro and green onions.

Add chicken and cheese and combine well. You can prepare up to this step ahead of time, just store the mixture in the fridge.


















Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave until warmed and soft enough to easily work with.

Lay all the tortillas out and equally distribute the chicken mixture amongst them on the lower 1/3 of the tortilla, about 1/2 in. from the edge.


















Roll it up tightly. Place seam side down on a baking dish. Lay all the taquitos seam side down and make sure they are not touching each other. I know, mine are - I moved them after I took the picture :-)

Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush the lightly with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle some kosher salt on top.

At this point you could probably freeze the recipe too.

To cook:

If frozen, thaw on counter prior to baking

Place pan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crisp and the edges start to get golden brown.


















We've got the three C's covered!

Crispy, Crunchy, and Creamy.

Perfect for a quiet Wednesday night when the mind is filled with deep thoughts....

Comments

  1. We would love these! Your photos are lovely! I think that's a good idea to make some then freeze them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, YUM! These look fantastic and I'm loving that its so quick and easy. You're right, perfect for the busy holiday season. I'm printing it out. Thanks!

    Also, I love to cook in my pjs too. I can hardly wait to get into my cozy duds at the end of the day. And, yes, light the candles too. Love the simple comforts!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound so yummy! I wish I had some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyndsay - this looks like the perfect kind of meal for a week day evening. I teach yoga classes in the evening, so I am always looking for things that I can prepare earlier in the day, and then just finish off in a few minutes when I come home. I love to put my PJs on as soon as I come home too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw these too and can't wait to make them. I've never made taquitos before (or had them anywhere) and they just look so good. And I can't wait to get home each day to get into my p.j.'s. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are probably the favourite thing I've made in awhile. I'm going to do them as finger food over the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lyndsay - I've bookmarked this to try it with turkey in oh, just a few days :-) Looks super!

    Maggie

    http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM! I found you through Frugal Antics of a Harrid homemaker blog - we will be trying these this week!

    www.savingthosedollars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once in a while I buy chicken taquitos as a treat for a treat. I always think of them as fried, so I really hadn't ever given a thought to making my own. This is fabulous; especially seeings they can be frozen, too. I wonder how they will be in my taquito breakfast skillet! Thanks for linking up with "your recipe, my kitchen." I appreciate the support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want to make these! Guess I have to let cream cheese back into my house then, huh? lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really good! I am thinking I could try to make something similar by putting the filling in a medifast chicken soup wrap thing I make :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great! They have became a regular meal in my house. I cook up a little salsa rice to go on the side. I dip mine in a salsa/ranch mixture. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment