Saturday Night Dining - Beef Roast with Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce

When my son TH was a baby my husband and I no longer had the freedom to dine out as we did during our child free years.

Which was a loss, I'm sure, to the many restaurants we frequented Friday and Saturday nights.

That isn't to say we never ate out.

To the contrary.

By age eight, TH listed Mussels Meuniere as one of his favourite dishes.

Saturday night dinner, Summer 2010





















Parents can attest, though, that once kids enter the scene, fine dining tends to become something you do on birthdays and anniversaries.


















But the man I married and I have always been creative, and out of a sense of necessity, we came up with a whole new schtick called: "Dining IN on Saturday Nights" that has stuck with us all these years.

It all started, as I said earlier, when TH was a baby.

We'd look through cook books on Saturday mornings (often after having checked them out of the library) and pick something that looked amazing. Then we'd make a shopping list, bundle up up the boy, and head to the grocery to pick up everything we'd need.

I have to tell you, it was so much fun.

It not only gave us something we could do together, it became a family tradition that - with TH now away at college (I know) - has become somewhat of a saving grace.

Over the years friends and family have joined in on the culinary action, but for the most part, it's mainly been the two of us.

I always set a nice table; this time using a black tablecloth and soft warm candle-light to envelope us in the coziness of fall...

Then we open a bottle of wine.

And take the opportunity to talk, and catch up.

This evening was no different.

In keeping with my Two Week Meal Plan I made a recipe from the Giada De Laurentiis cookbook Giada's Kitchen for Beef Roast with Spicy Parsley Tomato Sauce.

And served it with Braised Potatoes in Herb Butter (an adapted recipe for fingerling potatoes from Recipes That Worked by Mandy Higgens) and steamed spinach with balsamic vinegar.

I have to tell you, the recipe was absolutely delicious and one that I will make again...

And again!

The velvety smoothness of olive oil infused tomato sauce registers on the palette as comfort and combines beautifully with the perfectly seasoned tender beef.

This is a hearty Autumnal worthy dish that despite an absence of gravy, still feels like home.

With a marachi band.

The red pepper flakes and fresh garlic add the perfect kick to a dish that was a nice departure from the standard.

I'm thinking the next time I make this I'll serve the whole works over polenta.

Now I dream about the sandwiches...

To get to Giada's recipe click HERE

It's in the celebrating that we find our sense of belonging. We are reminded: These are my people and this is where I am meant to be.


Until next time everyone, be well.

xoxo

Lyndsay ~ The Kitchen Witch

Boo!

PPS... I was recently introduced to a fabulous group: I Heart Cooking. They are currently cooking their way through Giada's recipes and I, of course, HAD to join in!

IHCC


***

Linked to:

Cookbook Sundays Badge

***

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Your family ritual reminds me of ours - I also picked a nice, fancy dinner to prepare, but without a designated day. It just thrilled me to be able to cook a restaurant quality meal for my family:)
    And your TH is like our Zoe: at age six, mussels were her favorite dish:)It's a bit hard to accommodate the tastes of little gourmands at birthday parties, because the rest of their friends still prefer pizza and hot dogs:)
    I am glad you have joined our little group. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That beef roast looks perfect and I love the spicy tomato parsley sauce--perfect for a fall dinner.

    So nice to have you cooking along with us and Giada. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Great comfort food choice for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful meal, and I love your table settings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to IHCC!! You're choice looks delicious...I'd love to take a seat at your beautiful table :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone and nice to meet you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful table and equally beautiful sauce. I can picture using it in other dishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lyndsay. This is a lovely dinner. Love those mussels too. We are empty nesters too and do the same thing when we can. Question, are you the same "kitchen witch" I see on that secret recipes blog? Well, love your site and am now your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carla - must be a different witch on that blog :-)

    Nice to meet you and thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment