Cooking with Giada! Roasted Halibut with Grapefruit Fennel Salsa

It's been a while since I've tried a recipe from my Giada De Laurentiis cookbook Giada's Kitchen,
but in keeping with my two week meal planner for this month, Roasted Halibut with Graefruit and Fennel Salsa is on the menu for Wednesday and Wednesday it is!

Before I go any further, though, I'd like to direct your attention to a few changes I've been making to the blog. You'll notice under the masthead that I have created tabs for all of my previously posted recipes under certain headings. I'm hoping these will make it easier to navigate The Kitchen Witch and help regular visitors find their favourite recipes.

I have also been slowly and steadily moving my blogging interests away from the exploits and wisdom of A Fabulously Good Life to devote my time and energy to food blogging - a hobby I love and enjoy.

So watch for lots of interesting food and lifestyle related posts in the days to come and if you like The Kitchen Witch please do subscribe and then tell your friends :-)

Onward to the halibut!

Click here for Giada's original recipe



I have to admit, my husband, the Poolboy and I, had mixed reactions to this one.

He loved the loved the bright, fresh flavours of the dish while I was unsure of what I was eating. I am usually very open when it comes to flavours, but the olive, grapefruit, and fennel combination - while certainly tasty - was just so unusual and unexpected that I had to think about it a bit.

It reminded me of a dish I had once in a very nice restaurant in Quebec city for Chilean Sea Bass with vanilla bean. On paper it sounded intriguing, but the flavours in reality were so unusual when paired together, you just weren't sure.

But that's the fun of cooking and experimenting with food.

I enjoy ascribing to the Forrest Gump philosophy of "You never know what you're going to get" sometimes by trying the flavours of others.

Would I make this again?

I'm not sure.

Certainly the Poolboy would enjoy a second round...

In the meantime, I will go back to comfort food for the rest of this week.

Stay tuned Thursday for Chicken Breasts Bordelaise. I'm salivating just thinking about it!



***

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner



Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Sounds good minus the olives. I'm not a fan of them. I like the taste of fennel. I make a salad with Olive Oil oranges and salt and pepper. Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a few Giada recipes myself and I never made them again. She's a great personality, but her recipes are disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment