Cooking with Giada - Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree - and Other Snippets of Brilliance

I'm going to start things off by saying so far so good on my two week menu planner.

Last week we enjoyed:
And today's amazingly flavourful recipe for Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree, compliments of Giada De Laurentiis.



Notice the addition of garlic mashed potatoes.

I saw the recipe for these creamy dollops of lusciousness yesterday at Simply Recipes and knew they would go perfectly with this dish.

And I was right.

They were amazing.

As were the peas.

**disclaimer**

I am about to use the words "pea" and "puree" frequently over the next few paragraphs. I tried to edit myself - even throwing in a little francais for sparkle - but there was no getting around it.

The pea, and the puree, want to be heard.

***

Although I have never actually had (or made) pea puree before, I watch enough Top Chef to know this luscious looking emerald green concoction was something I would eventually want to try.

Especially after the Pea Puree "incident" of season 7.

For those not familiar with the show, there was quite the bru ha ha raging over a puree that may or may not have been stolen.



What?

I don't have a lot of excitement in my life so I take it where I find it - even on Top Chef.

And now that I've actually had Le Puree de Pois, I understand what all the fuss is about.

Talk about the perfect pairing with salmon!

Not only that, it was very easy to make.

You just take a bowl full of fresh mint, peas, salt, pepper, and garlic...



And puree in a blender with a half cup of extra virgin olive oil slowly drizzled in.



As an aside, the leftover puree makes an awesome green goddess style dip the next day with a little sour cream added.

(my husband may or may not have used it as chip dip)



To rave review, I might add.

The rest of the recipe was every bit as good, and the lemon brodetto is something I will make again to go with other dishes or perhaps even as the base to soup.



The original recipe calls for shallots, but I didn't have any - so I substituted green onion and it tasted just fine.

I can be crazy like that sometimes.

What I liked the most about this elegant looking dish was its simplicity.

It was straightforward, easy to make, and full of easy to find ingredients that created a spectacular party on the palette.

Which is what everyone should have on an early spring evening in March.

Don't you think?

Salmon in Lemon Brodetto with Pea Puree, compliments of Giada De Laurentiis.



A deliciously zesty way to start the week!

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. I make salmon weekly and this looks like a good one to make, this week. Thanks for the inspiration and thanks to Giada, as well.

    I must post, last week's salmon. It was exotic with mango and pineapple and coconut, dried bananas and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing! Please post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geesh! I wish my hubby would eat salmon, I LOOOVE it! Get it every time I go out to eat! This looks fantastic and maybe I will just make it for myself and make him something else, or have it one night when I ahve something leftover to serve him. Thanks, Lynds, for this! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pinky, how did the stroganoff turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had salmon on lentils (Ina), but never on a pea puree. It sure is pretty and I imagine would be tasty too.

    If I starting blogging about recipes I wanted to try, I think I'd be able to go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful looking meal and I'm so glad to hear that the pea puree was a big hit. I'm definitely going to make this recipe...one of these days. (The to-do list is always expanding).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this dish last week for the Spring Fever theme and loved it--it had so much flavor. The mashed potatoes are a great side for it too.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm that pea puree is just screaming for attention with its gorgeous springtime colour! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely and healthy - and I agree, mashies go with everything!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment