Giada's Lemon Risotto - Where are my Stretchy Pants??

Last night, as I stirred mascarpone cheese and butter into the velvety lemon risotto in my sauce pan, I pondered several age old questions, like:
  • If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, does it make a sound?
  • What actually did come first, the chicken or the egg?
And most pressing,

Seriously.

I have been cooking my way through the recipes of Giada and several other svelte looking chefs over the last few months, blithely adding mounds of butter, olive oil, and cheese to my food with wild abandon.

And why not?

Giada, I would tell myself, has been eating this way her entire life and look at her.

It's all about moderation.

And balance.

And...

Good Lord, I can't do my pants up.

It occurs to me that food blogging isn't, perhaps, the healthiest pursuit for an admitted cream and potato junkie.

I mean, what would one say to a heroin addict who spent hours trying to get the right shot of his needle collection?

On second thought, don't answer that.

Because I'm not going anywhere.

I like being my own version of a food stylist/critic/chef in much the same way I liked to pretend to be a teacher or a detective when I was a child.

For me, it's a form of play.

And even though it's time to cut back on the butter and get back to the gym, play is something we should all be doing more of and VERILY I will blog!

Now, if I could just find that pair of stretchy pants I had kicking around...

For a decadent treat, Giada's Lemon Risotto is absolutely delicious!

















Please take note: in an addicted haze, I decided my original risotto pictures were not good enough. So I took the above left over risotto out of the fridge and re-styled it adding lemon edges and additional parsley. There is, however, a reason why risotto must be eaten immediately - as you can see, despite my best efforts, the refrigerated product above has lost its original creaminess and sheen.

Please take note, part 2: as I snapped pictures of the cold risotto, the man I married may or may not have have mumbled, "You are insane," several times as he came in and out of the kitchen.

Please take note, part 3: I attempted to counteract the butter and cheese by serving the risotto with fish.
















It didn't work.

Giada's Lemon Risotto

Click here for printable recipe

Ingredients

* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon
* 1 large shallot, diced
* 1 cup Arborio rice
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons
* 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
* 1/2 a lemon, zested amd juiced
* 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
* 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 6 lemons, for serving

Directions
  1. In a medium saucepan bring the broth and 1/2 cup water to a simmer. Cover the broth and keep hot over low heat.
  2. In a medium, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and saute until tender but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the butter. Add the wine and simmer until the wine has almost completely evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition of the broth to absorb before adding the next, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes.
  3. Remove from the heat. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, mascarpone cheese, the lemon zest and juice, and the salt and pepper.


Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest
 

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Yeah, how come Ms Mas-car-pon-ay (LOL) doesn't weight a billion pounds??? It always goes to my thighs, that's for sure.
    Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNDS,

    I USED TO SPEND ALMOST THE ENTIRE DAY WATCHING THE FOOD NETWORK WHEN I COULD AFFORD CABLE, AND ONE OF THE MOST FRE- QUENTLY COOKED DISHES BY VARIOUS CHEF'S THAT I ALWAYS WANTED TO TRY WAS RISOTTO.

    NOW, I'M A BIG GURL AND OBVIOUSLY ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVE THINGS TO DO IS EAT GOOD FOOD, BUT I NEVER FOUND THE COURAGE TO TRY AND MAKE IT MYSELF.

    NOT ONLY IS GIADA A PETITE LITTLE HOTTIE, BUT I ASK U, CAN ANYTHING LEMONY "AND" CHEESY B A BAD THING?

    NO NEED TO ANSWER, I KNOW THE TRUTH, BUT DENIAL IS A WONDERFUL THING IN
    THE FOOD WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO COUNTING CALORIES AND FAT GRAMS!

    CARRY ON, OH QUEEN OF THE KITCHEN!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO! Babe, that's because Miss Giada has a personal trainer who runs her ass all over whatever hollywood estate she lives on before doing laps in her endless pool and getting a massage. (growl) She probably does 9 shows in a day...gets so full she doesn't want to eat, and then lives off lettuce for the rest of the week. *sigh* Those of us--cheese addicted--just buy bigger pants. And we play.

    Here's to playing--happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one has been on my "to try" list for a long time. Maybe I'll go find some stretchy pants and make it. And forbid my family to eat it until I get all my pictures taken!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not so much commenting on the food... 'cause I've a love/hate relationship with it, ya know.

    but, this... " as I snapped pictures of the cold risotto, the man I married may or may not have have mumbled, "You are insane," several times as he came in and out of the kitchen."

    If I could have someone who thought i was insane and loved that about me... I'd do it again. love, that is. not so much marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been drooling over this recipe for a while now. ;-) It looks and sounds so delicious. Well worth the stretchy pants I think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post really made me smile! I've often wondered the same thing myself, although I agree it is probably the personal trainer/laps round the pool/lettuce thing! This risotto does sound very delicious, I must say. Thanks for sharing your experience making it and for a very refreshing and fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you've all enjoyed this - depite the muffin top I'm currently sporting :-)

    Not to mention my thighs ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe sounds delicious and your writing is a joy to read.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why giada doesn't weight that much, wish i new her secret! Because i really love al that fat and creamy texture like mascarpone. Great pick. And wishing you à happy thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another recipe to try! Thank goodness for stretchy pants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading over your post. We all need a stash of stretchy pants, don't we? This looks like a glorious recipe, worth all the calories.

    p.s. my husband loves to have fun teasing me about the lengths I go to in order to obtain pictures of food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of a lemony risotto! And I agree, how is she so thin? Although her family are all like that - some might just be genetics. I have a man like that, if he skips lunch he loses 10 pounds. Just not fair...
    And for the other question - Egg! Dinosaurs laid eggs, thus they were around before chickens. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. I decided the other day that I'm going to make a risotto recipe. I love rice, but a lot of risottos have ingredients I don't like. So I'll make one up, and I'll let you know if it's good. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good God woman - what are you trying to do to me? I'm just about licking my computer screen trying to get at that. I don't know why I've never tried adding mascarpone to risotto before, but I'm off out now to buy a bigger pair of pants so I can try :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could see it and that made me crave it! Now I want to taste it! I found your blog and am now following you. It made me laugh. So many times I have wondered.."Where do they keep their "big girl" pants?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment