Sausage and Pepper Po-Boy

We have been hit by an unexpected cold front here in British Columbia.

Where we're usually enveloped in fog and rain this time of year, Jack Frost's wintry winds have decided to turn my neighborhood into a snowy wonderland, and the air icy cold.

Which resulted in me feeling chilly all day yesterday.

No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to get warm, and by the time I arrived home from work, all I wanted was to get into a hot bath to soak away the shivers.

Luckily, it was my husband Vaughan's night to cook.

Although I often tend toward comfort dishes with gravy and beautiful mashes when the weather gets blustery, Vaughan gravitates toward the spicier side of life and chose another recipe from Emeril's cook book: 20-40-60 Fresh Food Fast for Sausage and Pepper Po Boys.






















Talk about a perfect dish for a chilly weeknight dinner.

It was quick and easy to put together, with perfectly balanced combination of spices, vegetables, sausage, and fresh Italian bread.

Begging the question... why order in when your husband can make something this delicious?

In the meantime, I took that bath...

















Ahhhhh....

Sausage and Pepper Po Boys
For printable recipe click here



Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups sliced yellow onions
  • 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
  • 1 pound mild Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup mayonaisse
  • 1 tablespoon Louisiana hot sauce
  • 1 loaf soft French bread, cut into four 6- inch sections, each section sliced in half horizontally (or six panini buns)
  • 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
Directions
  1. In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the bell peppers, onions, creole spice, and Italian herbs. Cook until the vegetables have softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers and onions to a paper towel lined plate.
  2. Add the crumbled sausage to the hot pan and cook until the meat is cooked through and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and the hot sauce.
  4. Spread the cut sides of each piece of bread with the spicy mayonnaise. Divide the sausage among the bottom pieces of bread then top evenly with the peppers and onions.
  5. Arrange the cheese slices over the filled bottom halves and over the cut side of each top portion.
  6. Place the sandwich halves on a baking sheet, cheese sides up, and heat under broler just until the cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Press the sandwich halves together and serve immediately.
"Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home."

~Edith Sitwell






Linked to:

Comments

  1. This looks delicious Lyndsay! My hubby and I would love this spicy sandwich. And how lucky are you to have a husband who enjoys cooking and follows a recipe while you enjoy a nice warm bubble bath and book? Wow! I'm so jealous. It's supposed to be 79 degrees here in Texas today. I'm ready for some cold weather and snow would be nice for my kids and dogs to run around in. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding to my list for Hubby. Looks good. I'll try it minus the meat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! I love po'boys. These look delicious. And they're always better when someone else makes them while you get to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing this great meal on my Wednesday and wandering post! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment