Tex Mex Chipotle Chicken Casserole

I love a good casserole; and not just for casual weeknight dining but for bringing to gatherings like potlucks or casual dinner parties. Better still, casseroles provide opportunity to cook from the pantry - which during the winter month's is one of my favourite pursuits.

So join me in the kitchen today as I take salsa, chipotle chilies, sour cream, chicken and rice and turn them into something delicious.

After all, there's nothing quite so comforting as an old fashioned casserole bubbling over with cheese and love!

Tex Mex Chipotle Chicken Casserole
For printable recipe click HERE

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • cup uncooked white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp salsa
  • 1 tbsp chili powder 
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 cups sour cream
  • 2-3 canned chipotles with sauce (more if you want the dish spicier) 
  • 2 cups shredded cheese like sharp cheddar or Monteray Jack
  • 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
Directions
  1. Place rice, salsa, chili powder and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. 
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  3. Brush the chicken breast halves with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic. Bake in a 350 oven for app 40 minutes until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Cool the chicken slightly and cut into 2 inch slices.
  4. Place the sour cream and chipotle peppers in a blender and blend until smooth. Begin with 1 pepper and taste, add more peppers to suit the amount of heat you prefer.
  5. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  6. When rice is cooked, spoon it onto the bottom of the dish. Place the sliced chicken over top.
  7. Pour the chipotle sour cream over top, cover with the shredded cheese, and top with the crushed tortillas.
  8. Bake 30- 40 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is golden.
  9. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.


***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube
 


Comments

  1. All hail the casserole!

    Great post, all of it true. I guess I'm lucky I've reached the age where I don't care what anyone thinks anymore. And I'd NEVER swirl wine, because if I did, I just know that I (and undoubtedly my companion) would be wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hail all the old fashioned ways, casseroles, flowers, wine simply because you like it. Meals with not in front, of someone. I'm fairly plain in my ways, but man o mister, I love it! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post and so very true. I miss the evenings just sitting on the front porch talking with the family and socializing with neighbors,(with weather permitting).

    Your recipe looks comforting and just like home. My mother had a chicken and rice casserole as well. I bet the first bite would take me back to my mom's front porch!

    I enjoy your blog very much. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good casserole and I agree with you 100%! I think that all food has its place on the dinner table. One of my mom's most "famous" dishes includes shake n bake covered chicken for example.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apart from the caloric content, I'd say this is the real definition of "comfort food!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you word things, very nice post. This casserole looks really good with the rice in there too. It really funny that you should say this, I started my blog with the idea of keeping a log of the family recipes, and was going to ask my mom for a few more that I remembered loving as a kid and haven't made. She has my grandma's old recipe box and the last time I was home we went through a lot of her recipes. I already posted many good ol' stand-bys. Her rice pilaf I just updated by making it stove top and not using minute rice :D

    I don't know what I would do if I saw someone swirl and taste a $7-a-bottle glass of wine...I do like a good cheap wine, but I always forget to let it rest after I open it! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? She swirled? And you weren't at the Four Seasons or an uppity class joint...oh well.
    I agree with you - our grandparents put some fine food on the table and it seemed it was always comfort food. For the tummy and the soul.
    Great post Lyndsay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She swirled! Thankfully she refrained from gargling.

    Thanks for the comments everyone = and Wayne, an extra half hour at the gym is definitely in order after this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LYNDS...

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE CASSEROLES AND
    THIS ONE LOOKS FABULOUS, AND HONEST
    TO PETE, I CAN NEARLY SMELL IT ALL
    THE WAY DOWN HERE IN OKC!

    I MIGHT EVEN TRY TO REPLICATE IT
    WHEN I AM ABLE TO COOK 4 MYSELF
    AGAIN!

    KUDOS 2 U 4 BEING ABLE 2 MAINTAIN YER LADY-LIKE COMPOSURE DURING THE OTHER GAL'S DEFINITE OFF PUTTING PERFORMANCE WITH THE WINE!

    I OFTEN WONDER HOW PEOPLE WITH SUCH BIG HEADS GET THRU THE DOORWAYS OF FINE DINING ESTABLISHMENTS?

    I HOPE THE $7.50 DIDN'T PUT HER IN
    THE POOR HOUSE!

    ROFLMAO!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's my kind of casserole Lyndsay! Most of my favorite dishes are ones that my mom and grandmothers made when I was growing up. Simple and delicious! I don't even attempt to keep up with the people that live around here. I keep it real just like you. We would be great friends if we lived in the same town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a California city girl, and I couldn't imagine being else. But I still hate to watch people pose and posture with wine, and use terminology that they misunderstood.
    And when I hear about the South or Midwest, where neighbors know each other and everyone seems so warm and friendly, I feel a little twitch of envy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so agree with you. I thought you put it so beautifully. Sometimes there is nothing that warms the heart more than some good old comfort food. Chi chi food never does it for me.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like such a perfect casserole. I have seen it with corn chips or tortillas, but not with rice. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was lovely. It's always a pleasure when you write from the heart.

    Gotta love the casserole. Throw it all together... in the oven. Poof. Like magic. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment