Crispy Smoked Salmon Cakes with Asparagus Cream Sauce

It's been a hectic couple of days both work wise and personally and this afternoon was the first opportunity I've had in awhile to do what I like best: Putz around the house, read, and think about how I can be creative with recipes and food.

One of my best friends is hosting a luncheon in a couple weeks and has asked me to cook and decorate the eating area for a group of women organizing a fund raiser for a fish hatchery.

So today I took the time to think about what the menu might look like.

Keeping with the theme, I'm thinking about a starter of a light fish soup - recipe to come later in the week - with another dish I'm experimenting with - a crispy little seafood bite made with rice paper - stay tuned.

And for the main...

Crispy Smoked Salmon Cakes with Asparagus Cream Sauce and a Salad of Mixed Greens and Veggies with a Light Oil and Balsamic Vinegar Dressing.



















I played around with the ingredients tonight - taking a risk by adding Wasabi as the background note in an old time recipe of my grandmother's.

Back in the day she used to make these wonderful little baked salmon cakes for lunch that she would top with a sauce made with Cream of Mushroom Soup.

As a child I always loved it and associate it with the feelings of comfort and safety that can only be found at grandma's house.

This updated version became Sunday dinner for myself and my husband.

Both of us agreed, it was delicious.

Crispy Smoked Salmon Cakes with Asparagus Cream Sauce
For printable recipe click HERE

















Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup minced onion
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 medium potatoes, boiled and mashed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 small can high quality smoked salmon
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons Wasabi paste
  • 3 Tbsp snipped chives
  • 2 Tbsp sour cream
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions
  1. Heat the butter and olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
  2. Mix the smoked salmon to the potatoes and stir together. Stir in the sauteed onions. Add the lemon juice, Wasabi paste, chives, sour cream and egg. Mix well and form into patties.
  3. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Turn to medium. Brown cakes on both sides, watching closely to make sure they don't burn - about 2 1/2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel. Serve drizzled with Wasabi Asparagus Cream Sauce.
Asparagus Cream Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 12 Asparagus spears
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 tsp Wasabi paste
Directions
  1. Fill a small pot with water and bring to the boil. Add asparagus tips and boil until tender (about five minutes) Transfer to a blender and using a little of the water from the pot puree. Set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a sauce pan on medium with cream. Reduce heat to a low simmer for about 40 minutes stirring occasionally until volume is reduced and sauce thickens.
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time ending with the pureed asparagus and stir well.
  4. Drizzle over the salmon cakes and save the rest of the sauce for tomorrow - we'll be using it to make a delicious chicken fettucini.

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube




Comments

  1. Gosh, don't we all need those days to putz, read, think, and be creative? I know I do. And I know you know what I mean when I say ... that's what I've been doing for the last couple of months. I needed that long break from the blog and am still not sure all of my creativity has returned ... but you and this post/recipe inspire me.

    Here's to nurturing and nourishing ourselves, in whatever delicious form that takes. Missed you too!!!

    xoxoxo
    Diva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging is one of those things you have to take time off from. I usually begin to peter out around this time every year but am currently trying to power through ;)

    These little fishies turned out quite delicious. Now I just have to figure out what to do with all the additional cream sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LYNDS:

    ALTHO I DON'T CARE 4 FISH, I'M SURE IF
    I DID THIS WOULD B ON MY LIST OF FAVES BECAUSE OVERALL IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS FABU.

    I'M ENVIOUS OF THE LIFE U LIVE, HOW EVERYTHING SEEMS TO SIMPLY FALL INTO PLACE 4 U, AND HOW YER ALWAYS AT THE RIGHT PLACE AT JUST THE RIGHT TIME.

    I KNOW, THO, THAT IT'S FROM GOOD LIVING AND PAYING YER DUES, AS IT WERE, IN YEARS PAST, AFTER ALL, NO ONE GETS SOMETHING 4 NOTHING IN THIS WORLD.

    BUT I THANK GOD EVERY DAY 4 COMPUTERS AND THE INTERNET AND BEING ABLE TO LIVE VICARIOUSLY THRU U AND SHARE WITH U YER MANY SUCCESSES THAT SEEM TO B SHOWERING U LOVINGLY LATELY WITH A SOFT SPRING MIST.

    SO MANY PEOPLE LOVE AND TRUST U BECAUSE U MAKE IT SO EASY 4 US 2,
    AND I, 4 ONE AM A BETTER WOMAN 4
    IT.

    LUBZ-N-HUGZ,

    ~ERIN~

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes both ways my dear friend. Your support is so appreciated! After all, we crazy bloggers have to have friends to write for, right?

    I know you have had a tough go of it this past year, but I am thinking a gazillion good thoughts for you and am hoping for blue skies ahead!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment