Malt Shop Dinner: Wasabi Sliders, Crispy Oven Fries, and a Baily's Milkshake

I often plan a theme dinner on Saturday nights.

Whether it be old fashioned spaghetti, a retro barbecue featuring sweet and tender smoky ribs, or a steakhouse style dinner, having fun with food and doing something special on a Saturday night is a great way to get lost in the moment, enjoy a little creativity, and focus on fun.

And what better way to do that than to update a classic Soda Shop supper?

I have always had thing for retro.

And for the marriage of old and new in order to create something wonderful.

The first time I ever did a malt shop dinner was for my son's 8th birthday.

While it had become en vogue for parents to throw elaborate (and expensive) fetes for their children, I opted for a simpler route and threw an old fashioned sleepover featuring sliders, oven baked fries, make your own sundaes, and party games like Simon Says, musical chairs, and Pin the Tail on the Donkey.

The wonderful thing is, I still have my son's friends tell me how great those parties were.

*Sigh*

Good memories.

Anyways, as time carried on, my affinity for all things retro continued and I began formulating a menu for an adult version of the Malt Shop Dinner featuring Wasabi Sliders on beautiful home made buns with crispy and tender oven baked fries and an off the charts Baily's Irish Cream and Kahlua milkshake.






















My friend Karen got me into making home made buns for hamburgers, and let me tell you, once you've had a slider or a burger on a home made bun, you will never go back.

Click this link to visit the recipe for truly delicious buns.

















Pop over to the recipe for crisp and fluffy Oven Roasted Fries













Delicious Bailey's and Kahlua Milkshakes






















And my recipe for Zesty Sliders

For the sliders, just make the patties and buns smaller.

Serve with Wasabi Mayonnaise and top with sweet pickles...
















Or sauteed mushrooms and garlic with shredded melted cheddar, and fresh field greens...


















The key is to use your imagination because burgers are one of those wonderful foods where the sky is literally the limit.

In all honesty, though, the recipe is so good, it's delicious just by itself on the bun.

My husband and I will be enjoying the rest of them during Superbowl.

***

This evening's Malt Shop dinner was just right.

February can be a tough month.

It felt good to step out of the "world's reality" - job pressures, stress, and pressure - and into our own reality of love laughter, great food, and a little libation.

Maybe next time I'll try to find a car hop outfit.

With roller skates.

Do you think they make them in my size??







 

 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Oh Lyndsay - what a great idea for dinner - it's great to make a "special occasion" out of dinner at home and this looks like a great way to do it. Love your homemade burger buns - I have to try that - and the wasabi mayo definitely has my taste buds tingling - yum :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have the most fabulous themed dinner parties! My hubby and I would love this meal! Meat and potatoes are always a way to a man's heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu had me at the Baileys and Kalua milkshake!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! I have got to have one of them!!!!! SOON!!!!:):) XO< Pinky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment