Why Men Should Not Fix Household Appliances and Lunch at the Longwood Brew Pub in Nanaimo

Those of you following my Recipes to Riches saga will remember my oven door snapped off it's hinges just as I was about to slip my golden ticketed entry inside the night before the open call auditions - which came as no big surprise to my regular readers as this seems to be the way things go for me.

However, it has been The Man I Married and his aversion to parting with money unnecessarily that has caused me undue stress.

This because he first tried to fix it himself leaving me tip toeing around oven door parts as he simultaneously dropped things, cut his finger, and muttered expletives I choose not to share on this blog.

As an aside, is there something coded into the male DNA that requires they carry on like banshees when faced with a home repair project or sporting event?

***

Thankfully, by Friday evening he and the door reached détente and a promise was made to take the oven to a repair shop first thing in the morning.

*Ahem*

This from a man who will replace a big screen TV at the first hint of trouble.

I, on the other hand, have been creating culinary wonders for years with a stove that is 25 degrees off and missing a burner.

In other words, I had a pretty good case that it was time to retire Door-free Mathilda and talked my husband into a day of oven shopping with the promise of late lunch afterward at our favourite pub.
















And it was just that easy because, by a stroke of luck, SEARS had a sale on. We found a beautiful self cleaning oven that was reduced by $300.00.

Better still, we could bring it home as they had one in stock.

In the mood to celebrate, we headed to The Longwood Brew Pub in Nanaimo.

If you happen to be passing this way, or live in Nanaimo and haven't eaten here yet, treat yourself.

The atmosphere, service, and fresh delicious food make it a favourite place to hang out, enjoy a beer that has been brewed on sight, and relax over lunch, dinner, or Sunday brunch.

We started today with the Longwood Ale and a side of clamato juice.






















I felt positively Gael Green-ish as I surreptitiously took pictures - convinced the wait staff thought I was some kind of food critic, or worse, a weirdo.

No matter, the Man I Married and I were more than ready to add our culinary two cents in review of this wonderful lunch.

Starting with the Brandy Peppercorn Burger
















The perfectly cooked hamburger is covered with smoky stewed onions, sauteed mushrooms, horseradish, cheddar, mayo, and the brandy peppercorn sauce.

What sets it apart, though, isn't just the toppings but the freshness and tastiness of the hamburger itself. This isn't a pre-frozen burger stuck on a bun - it's a freshly made pattie smothered in thoughtful ingredients that go together perfectly.

The only thing that could have made this better would have been a fresh baked bun and a little less pickle - but hey, the beer was brewed on the premises which is impressive on its own, and the next time I order it (which I will) I will remove the pickle.

And then there was the West Coast Halibut and Prawn Wrap.

















Oh my YUMM!

I loved this!






















Served warm in a crispy whole wheat tortilla and filled with succulent west coast halibut, fresh prawns, Caesar salad, fried capers, and roast garlic dressing, three hours later, I am already craving another one!

Other memorable treats include Lamb Lollipops, Potato Crab Cakes, Fire Cracker B.C. Prawns, and the pub brunch which as been voted Nanaimo's best pub brunch for four years running.

All in all it was a lovely day.

And as we drove home, I marveled at the beauty of this island, even on the highway.

















The only problem now: Writing about lunch has me feeling hungry again, and the stove's not even in yet!

Don't worry about me, though, I'm sure I'll be able to conjure up something.

Until tomorrow... that's the blog.



Comments

  1. That new oven will see you through! I have wondered the same myself regarding the DNA and need to be loud, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never get through your posts without a laugh. The line in particular was when you referred to being though of as "..some kind of food critic, or worse, a weirdo." I've come to embrace my weirdness and just go with it.

    Glad things worked out well for you. I look forward to your firing up the new oven and regaling us with more culinary tales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was laughing last night at your twitter post when you said your oven is off by 25 degrees (after I told you mine was off by 50). I'm glad I'm not the only one who just deals with it. :o) Enjoy your new oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LYNDS,

    U GUYS HAVE THE COOLEST PLACES THERE ON THE ISLAND TO EAT OR JUST HANG OUT.

    I'VE TOLD U B4 THAT YER IN THE TOP 5 OF THINGS I HAVE LISTED ON MY BUCKET LIST, AND HUN, YER ABOUT A BREATH AWAY FROM THE # 1 SLOT B/C I'M AFRAID I'M GONNA MISS THE GREATEST THING EVER IF I PUT ELLEN OR AN ALASKAN CRUISE B4 U.

    I THINK IT'S MORE OF A HORMONAL DEAL THAN GENETIC WITH GUYS AND THE WHOLE BANSHEE MINDSET.

    THEIR TESTOSTERONE FLOWS LIKE NIAGARA FALLS AND STARTS FILLING UP IN THEIR BRAIN, SO IT'S EITHER THEIR HEAD EXPLODES OR IT RUPTURES OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS LIKE A CROSS BETWEEN DANTE'S INFERNO AND POPEYE ON CRACK.

    JUST MY THEORY!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    U GOT A NEW OVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you got a new oven. It's well deserved after all the wonderful dishes you've prepared for your family all these years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment