Creole Sirloin with Avocado, Tomato, and Bean Salad

I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but cooking and eating without all the fat and butter has become fun. I love the challenge of putting together recipes that taste really good and are also healthy to eat.

Recently Chef Rick Bayless (a hero of mine) was asked how he stays so thin and fit when he is constantly surrounded by beautiful food. He replied: No processed foods, modest portions, and he stays active - which, right there, seems to be the holy trinity for a healthy lifestyle.

But it was with him and this philosophy in mind that I came up with today's dish, which is not just healthy and delicious but also quick and easy to prepare - another component to my cooking of late. Especially during the week because my first half hour after work is now spent jogging with the dog making it imperative dinner be quick to prepare when I return.

Those who have been around awhile know how much I love steak, but for a weeknight meal, a huge slab of beef felt like too much; so even though I took a nice sirloin out to defrost, I spent my drive home thinking about how I might prepare it with a healthier twist.

One great way to come up with recipe ideas is to do a running inventory of what's in the pantry, then think about the produce you have and go from there.

















Friday night's dinner of Creole Sirloin and Bean Salad turned out so well it's going into my regular meal rotation - both my husband and I loved this.

Pictured above is my plate. For someone who likes their steak more well done cook 3 or for minutes longer per side.

I hope you enjoy!

Creole Sirloin with Tomato, Bean, and Avocado Salad
For printable recipe click here


Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients (serves 4)
  • 2 tbsp Creole seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 thin cut beef sirloin steaks
  • 1 large ripe avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, diced
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 3 green onions chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1 540 ml (9 fl oz) tin mixed salad beans, rinsed, drained
  • 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • kosher salt and black pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)
  • 1 1/2 tbs fresh lemon juice
Directions
  1. Rub steaks with olive oil and Creole seasoning.
  2. Heat a non-stick frying pan or grill over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a large plate. Cover with foil to keep the steaks warm.
  3. Combine the avocado, tomato, green onions, cilantro, beans, lemon zest, and juice, in a medium bowl. Stir until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Place a couple large spoonfuls of the bean salad on each plate. Thinly slice the steaks on the grain and place atop the salad. Enjoy!




***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. What a great looking dinner salad. It seems an unusual group of ingredients, but then when you view the photo and read the list, sounds so good. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good Melynda. My husband and I both agreed we could eat this dinner once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful, love all the ingredients you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This looks yummy! It's dinner in a salad! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious! I worship at that church, too. All the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LYNDS....

    EVERYTHING IS A GO 4 ME BUT THE BEANS IN THE SALAD.

    DO U HAVE ANOTHER HEALTHFUL YET TASTY INGREDIENT I COULD SUBSTITUTE 4 THE BEANS?

    I LOVE A GOOD MEDIUM RARE STEAK, SAUTEED MUSHROOMS, A NICE SALAD, AND AN ICE COLD BEER.

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment