Diary of a Determined Dieter - It's Just the Addiction Talking

Let me start by saying, I love you guys!

Who knew a slightly crankish morning post about the politics of dieting could spur such love and support?

But it did.

Not only did I receive a whole bunch of much appreciated emails - including one particularly heartfelt note from my mother - your comments left here and on my Facebook account have been incredible.

And I had to smile - one of my Facebook friends took the time to send me the recipe for a bliss inducing bath - sensing rightfully that a little bliss was needed.

Stat!

It looks so great I decided to share:

Bliss Inducing Bath
For printable recipe click here





















Ingredients
  • 4 cups glycerin liquid soap
  • 4 to 6 drops of mint oil extract
  • 4oz dry chamomile flowers
  • 6 to eight drops Valerian root extract
  • 1/4 cup grape seed oil
  1. Heat your glycerin and grape seed oil on low heat until just short of simmering. Drop your Chamomile flowers into the mixture and allow them to soak until the whole thing cools to room temperature. Strain through cheese clothe into decorative bottle (Personally, I leave a few flowers in the bottle because the longer they soak, the stronger the effect of the potion). Add the drops of the Valerian and mint. shake until throughly incorporated.
  2. Add 4 to 6 tablespoons (2 liberal squirts) into a very hot bath. The longer you soak, the more relaxing the effect.

***
After watching every single episode of Celebrity Rehab - twice - I have been made aware that my mind works in much the same way as people who struggle with addiction.

And Dr. Drew said something last season that stuck with me.

This in regard to negative or destructive thinking like:

"This is terrible"
"My quality of life is being robbed"

or
"One more (insert cookie of choice) won't hurt anything"

Like the devil himself, according to Dr. Drew, this is your addiction talking and not a reflection of what you truly want or need.


If you can find a way to ride out the storm, your own voice of reason will eventually kick back in.

I mentioned this yesterday to a friend who is in recovery, telling him about the the tug of war that goes on within me and he validated that this is exactly what happens in active recovery.


He also told me we should never suffer those kinds of thoughts and feelings alone - but rather try to immediately talk with someone who can help bring our thoughts out of addiction and back to reality.

In some ways, this is what happened yesterday.

I believe I referred to my diet efforts as the second level of Dantes hell and accused the world of judgmental pandering while lamenting the futility of it all.

But that simple act of typing the words to a group of people who I know are listening and cheering me on, actually made me feel better.

In other words, I was able to let it go and the rest of the day was fabulous.

I enjoyed a productive day at work, went for a "world's slowest jogger" walk/run with the dog and noticed that I am already able to run a little longer and a little farther each time.

Then I came home and made the easiest, most delightful, and satisfying Weight Watchers recipe for Tortillini en Brodo that dieters and non-dieters alike are going to thank me for - watch for the recipe this afternoon.

In the meantime, I am off now to make a breakfast burrito with fresh Omega 3 eggs, turkey bacon, green pepper, green onion, cilantro, and salsa verde while the non- addicted part of my brain screams: "This is the way to live!"

***

Stay tuned tomorrow to see which side of my brain will be in charge...

Until then, here's to everyone's good health and have a truly Fabulous Wednesday - tonight's guilty pleasures: American Idol and Survivor!!


xoxoxo

Comments

  1. I smiled just reading that post....a relaxing bath is just the ticket, woman! Love the photo of the pup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you too Lyndsay (I always have to think about it when I type your name) It helps us too when we read your posts, whether it's to help us get through the day, what to have for lunch, or just to make us smile.

    Call me (ok email) me anytime!

    Lundsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo hoo!! Great to have support :-) Thanks Lynds ;)

    Meanwhile Pierce, that is one of my all time favourite photos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment