The Diary of a Determined Dieter - Week One

I started this thing on a Friday - which was completely on purpose as every single other "diet" I have ever been on started on a Monday.

Dieters know the drill.

Eat like crazy over the weekend while planning the eventual blitz of healthy eating and exercise to begin first thing Monday morning.

The excitement!

The anticipation!

The clearing the cupboards of all things "junk" because this time we know we're going to do finally do it.

We're going to lose those extra layers of subcutaneous fat we've been lugging around and make Dr. Oz happy.

We're going to invest in running shoes, and hand weights - newly committed to an exercise plan that will have us up and working out by 6 am!

In short, this time around we're going to be fabulous and will keep this thing going until...

And right there, the rub.

I have learned that any kind of dieting strategy that contains the world "until" is pretty much doomed from the start because "until" is conditional and impermanent and in order for any kind of lasting change to occur, this "new way of life that began on Friday" has to be just that.

Each change I make has to be a permanent change - not an "until" one.

Which in the broadest sense, and at only a week and a half in, is daunting because at heart, a change in lifestyle requires a re-programming of all the old tapes.

Even if they're bumpy and not particularly easy to navigate, the ruts, and grooves in the road of a long worn path are not easy to get out of - and even if the new road feels smoother and, yes, even better at times, there is comfort in the familiar and feelings of comfort can be difficult to fight.

Especially when the roads surrounding us become stressful or overwhelming.

I, better than anyone, understand the power of self medicating with pie crust; of staying up too late, or adding extra butter to the mashed potatoes because it's raining outside and the world is closing in - I understand.

When I want to turn left, I must turn right... when the old tapes begin to play and I want to give up and get back on the old road, I must talk myself out if it - believing that if I stick with this for the long run, the day will come when I automatically turn right and will have left those old roads behind for good.

At a week and a half in, I sound so brave and sure.

Talk to me in a month when my body is tired and the voices in my head are screaming for custard filled restitution.

Until then, and yes - I guess there is always an until - I have lost six pounds.

Towanda!

And that's the blog.

Comments

  1. LYNDS,

    ACES 2 U, MY FRIEND, AND A HARDY TOWANDA RIGHT BACK ATTCHAZ!

    I'M PROUD OF U, AND WITH U NOTHING
    BUT GREAT SUCCESS IN YER ENDEAVOR
    2 ATTAIN YER GOAL, WHATEVER IT MIGHT
    B.

    THIS IS ME, AS ALWAYS, ON THE SIDE- LINES, CHEERING U ON AND SHOWERING NOTHING BUT THE STRONGEST MOJO ALONG EVERY PATH U RUN.

    LOVE U, GF!

    ATTA GURL!

    ~ERIN~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, congrats!!!! What a fantastic start, I'm so proud of you. :o) Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 6 pounds!!!??? That is GREAT! You go girl!!!! I am proud of you! XOXO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have posted a comment on your blog before, but this post has inspired me to come out of my shell and say a huge THANK YOU! for posting this. I am officially in that week 2: trying to stay motivated phase, and I needed to hear that I'm not the only one that struggles with dieting and getting in shape. Your post was inspiring, funny, and the best thing I have read all day. So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the supportive and uplifting comments everyone!! I appreciate them more than you can ever know :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....6 pounds!! Good for you!! I was down 2 and that was good for me...this week, well we will see as I had alot on my plate (no pun intended) with eating out and that time of the month, so have almost used my whole bonus point quota where as last week I didnt use half of them...so I am expecting a .5 lb decrease but its better than nothing!! Lets keep it going!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks :-) I was a little down on the whole thing this morning as I made the mistake of weighing myself everyday. Now I'm sticking to once a week :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment