Healthy, Budget Friendly Steak Wraps

While red meat isn't the mainstay in my kitchen it once was, I still like to include it in our diet because I enjoy variety and ease when it comes to meals - especially on weekdays when life gets so busy.

It seems to me those are the best times to enjoy good food.

But good food can sometimes be expensive, making it more and more challenging to eat healthfully while sticking to a budget.

One of my favourite budget friendly tricks for quick and healthy meals that feature red meat is to purchase sirloin minute steaks.

A family package of these wonderfully thin iron rich steaks can usually be purchased for under $12.00 at your local grocery and today's meal features them in kid and diet friendly wraps.

I say "diet friendly" because on the health front, things couldn't be better. I'm not only noticing a change in the way my clothes fit, my skin looks better and I have a lot more energy. I also marveled this afternoon while out on a jog how quickly the body returns to exercise - I am already able to run - albeit slowly - for 30 minutes straight without stopping, making me realize my goal to once again call myself a "runner" is neither off base or out of reach.

Nothing is.

And today, as the third week of my "return to self" comes to a close, I am relieved to write that I am no where near finished and that I have absolutely no desire to get off this road.

Stay tuned Sunday for "Weigh Day" and later for a recipe I'm developing for chicken breasts stuffed with quinoa, feta, and olives.

Until then, how about a Steak Wrap?



















Healthy, Budget Friendly Steak Wrap
For printable recipe click HERE

















Ingredients
  • 1 pkg Multigrain soft burrito shells
  • 6 minute steaks seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup Philly Light cream cheese
  • 1/4 cup salsa
  • 1 avocado. diced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions
  1. Place steaks under the broiler and broil until desired doneness (2 minutes per side for medium) Remove steaks from oven and let rest at least ten minutes.
  2. Mix the salsa and cream cheese together and spread an even amount over 6 soft burrito shells
  3. Slice steaks very thinly and place one on each shell
  4. Cover each with an even amount of avocado, tomato, spinach, and cilantro, and wrap.
  5. Serve with veggies and dip



 

 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Hey good for you! I guess we all have our head set on getting in shape, me too.
    Looks delish, and yes budget friendly is important when you're feeding a big family.
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be a runner. You're inspiring me! The steak wrap looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LYNDS,

    I DO ENJOY A GOOD MINUTE STEAK.

    I LIKE 2 MAKE SOMETHING THAT'S FAIRLY CHEAP AND QUICK 2 FIX CALLED THE POOR MAN'S FRENCH DIP USING MINUTE STEAK RATHER THAN ROAST BEAST, ON A HOAGY
    ROLL WITH SOME PIPING HOT AU JUS AS
    A DIPPING SAUCE.

    THIS WILL B ON MY LIST OF THINGS 2 MAKE ONCE I'M BACK IN CHARGE OF MY
    OWN KITCHEN, AM UP AND WALKING, AND RULING MY NEW ROOST IN OHIO!

    THANKS 4 REMINDING ME OF AN OLD FAMILY FAVE!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment