Ideas for Controlling Blood Sugar and Power Packed Breakfast Sandwich

Over the last few weeks I've been doing some reading about health, weight loss and some of the science behind it.

As such, I've been finding tips and ideas that I find interesting and helpful that I wanted to share...

Acetic Acid and Blood Glucose (sugar)

Acetic acid, the compound that gives pickles and vinegar "tang" acts as an anchor to keep blood glucose from rising too high. In fact, in a study published in the Journal of the American Diabetic Association, people who ate a buttered bagel and orange juice - a breakfast that packs a glycemic punch - saw their blood glucose shoot up in the next hour. But when participants also drank about 1 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar, their blood glucose levels after the meal were 50% lower. A similar cut in glucose happened after a chicken and rice meal.

Scientists aren't completely certain why this is, but they do know vinegar interferes with the enzymes that break apart the chemical bonds in starches and the kinds of sugars found in white sugar and milk. This means it takes your body longer to break down those foods into blood glucose.

It also means the old wive's tale of taking a tbsp of apple cider vinegar with meals to aid weight loss has validity.

Cut calories, eat smaller portions, eat more complex carbs, eat more fruits and vegetables, have protein with every meal, favour good fats, exercise, and your new "silver bullet to weight loss" add acidic foods to your meals!

Here are some other ways to add acids to your meals...
  • Use mustard instead of mayonnaise or alongside lower fat mayo on sandwiches (I love dijon) It also makes a nice coating or marinade for chicken and fish.
  • Eat pickles with your meals.
  • Squeeze lemon juice over fish, seafood, vegetables - even soups and stews because it helps to liven up flavours.
  • Squeeze lime juice over avocados, fish, turkey, lean pork and beef, melon, and even sweet potatoes.
  • Eat more citrus fruit - including grapefruit - perhaps acids are the reasons behind the popular grapefruit diet of the 70's.
  • Cook with wine.
  • Add salsa to recipes.
  • Drinking wine (one glass a day for women, 2 for men) can help keep blood insulin levels low, and is linked with a lowered risk of developing diabetes and a lowered risk of heart disease and stroke.
Another way to keep blood glucose steady is by starting the day with a healthy breakfast. Today I'm going to share a recipe for a delicious sausage and egg breakfast sandwich - along with another tip:

Convenient Tip

Place 12-24 turkey sausages on a baking rack. Prick each with a fork and bake in a 350 oven for one hour. Cool, cut into bite sized pieces, and store in freezer bags in your freezer to use as a low fat, high protein alternative to pork sausage in breakfasts.

Breakfast Sandwich




















Ingredients
  • 4 whole wheat English Muffins, toasted
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced small
  • 1/4 white onion, diced small
  • 1/2 cup cooked turkey sausage cut into small pieces
  • 2 eggs (preferably free range, omega 3)
  • hot sauce
  • salsa (good acid for lower blood glucose)
  • low fat mayo
  • tomato slices
  • baby spinach leaves
  • PAM cooking spray
Directions
  1. Toast English muffins, spread one side with 1/2 tsp low fat mayo, the other side with a Tbsp salsa
  2. Saute vegetables over medium heat in non-stick pan sprayed with PAM until soft.
  3. Whisk eggs together, add a few shakes of hot sauce.
  4. Pour eggs into pan, sprinkle sausage over top and cook omelet style, flipping once, or scrambling.
  5. Divide into four and place on prepared muffins. Top with tomato, spinach, and a little black pepper.
If you're brave enough, drink a Tbsp of apple cider vinegar in ice water. I do this while I take my vitamins. I do a multi everyday along with salmon oil and a baby aspirin.

Talk about a powerful way to start the day!!

Until tomorrow, SMOOCHES everyone!

Comments

  1. I like breakfast sandwiches, and your looks good. I have heard that about vinegar, but I just can't bring myself to just take a spoonful of it, now molasses I could! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting about the high acidic food helping to keep glucose levels more steady.

    I am a carb freak! Love, love carbs. Thank goodness, I have not had to worry about glucose levels, at least not yet.

    I completely agree complex carbs, fruits, vegetables and lean proteins are the way to balance meals. If it were only that easy :-)

    Great, informative post.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how reading this kind of information can influence. I have been trying the vinegar thing - I actually don't mind the taste in water but rather, find it refreshing. I'll let you know if it aids the process :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I am going to try the vinegar in water and see if I can do it, you have convinced me:):) Thanks....I think:):) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love breakfast sandwiches, but for one reason or other I never make them. This one looks delicious. I'll be experimenting with biscuits later in the week (making them, cutting them out and then freezing before baking to see if they bake up as well after having been frozen as they do fresh). At which point I think I'll turn one into a sandwich. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment