Kentucky Un-Fried Chicken Strips and Sweet Potato Fries

I've been in the mood for one of my favourite guilty pleasures: Kentucky Fried Chicken.

But since the Colonel's original method of deep frying the cluck out of isn't recommended for a heart healthy lifestyle (not to mention I also LOVE my chicken and fries dipped and smothered in the Colonel's gravy) I needed to come up with something that would soothe the craving without sending my cholesterol through the roof.

Somewhere in my blogging travels, I located a spice mix that claimed to be the Colonel's secret blend of 11 herbs, spices (and MSG) - a recipe I have kept intact except for the MSG because, people, it's 2011.

Do we really need Mono Sodium Glutamate in our lives?

Instead of doing whole pieces of chicken, I lightened it up by breading boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into strips and served with baked sweet potato fries, creamy coleslaw, and a curried apple dip.


















All in all, a tasty and healthy alternative to a high fat deep fried meal.

Want the recipes?

















Kentucky Un-fried Chicken Strips
Sweet Potato Fries with Curried Apple Dipping Sauce
Fruity, Creamy Coleslaw

Stay tuned tomorrow for some wonderful ideas for "Breakfast on the Go" and watch for another installment of the Cherry Hill saga when Amanda starts "Slimming" - 1940's style - later in the week!

Until then, here's wishing everyone who stops by the blog a happy and healthy week ahead!

Comments

  1. Damn straight I want the recipes. I used to only like the Extra Crispy chicken. I haven't eaten there in years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! And I love me some sweet potato fries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsay what a perfect dinner! Yum! This is wayyyy better than the Colnoel's fried chicken!! Nothing better than those sweet ptoato fries too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious dinner! Love the sweet potato fries along with the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've become a convert to sweet potato fries too. A very good alternative to the col :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I just had some amazing sweet potato fries this past weekend. Love what you cooked up here. Healthy and satisfying :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment