Chicken, Potato, and Kalamata Olives in Parchment Bundles

I used to be a runner.

A pursuit, based on body type alone, I really had no business participating in.

But in grade seven when I tried out for junior high track and didn't make it, some kind of fire was lit within me and I became determined to get onto the team.

Two years, many grueling miles, and ten pounds of baby fat later, I found myself, not only on the track team, but winning medals.

Such has been the story of my life.

Nothing has ever come particularly easy, but with a little elbow grease and determination I have always been able to touch my goals.

Except in one area: my weight.

I go up and down according to the season but have never put the kind of heart and determination into this struggle that I have other things in my life.

Though I have been on every diet plan imaginable, it is just recently that something clicked reminding me that it's not the plan in charge of my destiny, it's me.

And I have the power to choose how this thing is going to play out.

I am not some unwitting victim of metabolic happenstance, but rather a willing, butter wielding participant in my own life's drama.

As such, I have decided there is no try, only do.

No more, "I'm just trying to get healthy let the chips fall where they may yadda yadda."

This time I have a plan - and a big part of that plan is you because I can't do this alone.

Right now I'm riding high on the fabulosity of new beginnings. I'm motivated, and primed, and excited, and everything's new - but remember, I've been down this road enough times to understand that what goes up will eventually and certainly, come down.

And when I I do, I need to be accountable to something or someone other than myself or, as sure as I'm sitting here, I will slide right off this wagon and back into old patterns.

When I want to turn right, I must remember to turn left...

I have several goals I wish to accomplish before the clock strikes midnight 2012.

The first being my opening blog of 2012; beginning with the following sentence:

I am a runner.

***

In the meantime, I can't say enough about tonight's dinner:

















My recipe for tender chicken and potatoes infused with fresh herbs, tomatoes and kalamata olives is quick and easy to prepare and sure to become a weeknight favourite!

Chicken Potato and Kalamata Olives in Parchment Bundles
For printable recipe click here

















Ingredients
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
  • 1 diced tomato
  • 1 small onion sliced in thin rings
  • 3 medium red skinned potatoes, scrubbed clean or peeled
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • zest of one lemon
  • 1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 cup low sodium chicken stock
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
















Directions
  1. Mix all ingredients except the chicken together in a medium bowl.
  2. Place each chicken breast onto a 12 x 12 piece of parchment paper and spoon equal amounts of the olive, potato mixture over both.
  3. Bring edges of the paper together and fold together to crimp closed. Be sure to leave some room inside the bundle for heat expansion which will happen as the chicken bakes. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40-45 minutes.
  4. Serve rustic style on a large plate. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Please enjoy my easy to follow step by step video.





***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube




Comments

  1. First of all...yum, this is a dinner I would love...everything sounds tasty and satisfying. Second...good for you! I think we all can benefit from doing what feels right to us...persevering...and being content with that. Best of luck on your endeavor and your running. (I loathe running...and try not to do it unless I'm being chased. But I totally admire those who can and want to do it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This osunds like the perfect solution to tonights dinner!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in this meal are wonderful. It's a healthy and tasty meal. Good luck with your goals. You seem determined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello all and thanks for the lovely comments. I do feel determined this time around - am also putting back up plans in place in case I'm tempted to fall off the wagon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dinner looks wonderful - colourful, healthy and delicious all in one. I started running about a year ago and am still working to learn to love it, but I am getting there! I've forced myself to continue by signing up for a charity 8 kilometer run in September, so I am going to have to ramp things up a bit that is for sure! So, good luck with your goals and I will be thinking of you as I work towards mine! Hang in there! And thank you for linking up to Feed Me Tweet Me Follow Me Home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited to have stumbled upon your blog! I can't wait to see your recipes and your progress throughout the year. I also started a food blog about a month and a half ago and although the cooking and the eating healthy part has come easy for me, I'm really slacking in the exercise department!
    Your recipes look delicious and I can't wait to try some of them out...thank you so much for sharing!
    http://michelleismakingithappen.blogspot.com if you want to check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the great comments - and good luck on the 8k!! 7 K is my current goal.

    Michelle, nice to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment