Quick and Healthy Creamy Creole Shrimp

Hello everyone,

I hope this blog entry finds you well :-)

From my end this is going to be short and sweet as the last two mornings have been early and my work week has been busy.

Despite that, however, my healthy eating and exercise have prevailed.

Yesterday I faced the challenge of having to eat at a restaurant and, for the first time in my life, I got picky about my order. The lunch special was turkey on a croissant with basil mayonnaise and fries and I had the nerve to order it on whole wheat with dijon and a side salad - dressing on the side.

To my surprise the restaurant didn't kick me out, and the waitress was happy to accommodate my wishes.

Go figure.

The biggest torture was coffee breaks.

I was at a symposium and the people hosting catered in pastries and muffins from a local bakery.

To make it worse, I ate breakfast very early so that by the time the pastries arrived I was STARVING - and the apple and banana I packed as snacks were cold comfort.

I survived it, though, and realized that the good feelings I had at the end of the day as I went for a power walk before dinner, were worth the temporary pain and suffering earlier.

I realized that I like being the kind of person who chooses an apple and herbal tea as a snack because it tells me I value myself.

And I can always use a little more of that :-)

As you can imagine, I was tired and starving by the time I got dinner going.

The meal I put together was perfect because it was so quick and easy.

We loved it, and I hope you will too!

xoxo

Happy Thursday!

Quick and Healthy Creamy Creole Shrimp
For printable recipe click here




















Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb large shrimp or prawns, peeled, tails removed
  • 1 medium green pepper, diced
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper diced
  • 2 stalks diced celery
  • 1 white onion chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp creole spice (I use Emeril's blend)
  • 1 tin stewed tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup low fat cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 bay leaf
Directions
  1. Saute the onion, celery, green pepper, and jalapeno pepper or medium high heat until onion soft and translucent.
  2. Add the chopped garlic and stir just until you begin to smell it cooking.
  3. Add the shrimp and creole spice, continue to stir until well incorporated.
  4. Add the stewed tomatoes, cream of mushroom soup, cilantro, and bay leaf. Stir well, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.
  5. Serve over rice or riced cauliflower


Comments

  1. Good for you Lyndsay for hanging in there! I have to bring snacks so I can eat during the day and not face that "starving" stage and end up eating anything in my path. I always eat breakfast, but didn't get a chance today until I got to working breakfast at school. So I ate what they were serving here, a half of grapefruit...the kids didn't want it. I skipped the breakfast pizza! :D

    I know, I always go on and on...

    This dish looks like a good idea for a quick and flavorful meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, this recipe sounds scrumptious, Maven! I cannot usually obtain fresh shrimp like I used to in Houston, so I content mice elf with Nautilus brand IQF shrimp, the 16-20 size. I think they'd be perfect in this dish!

    Now, a question ... "riced cauliflower"? I was wondering whether you riced it before or after cooking, looked at my hands and wrists and decided it MUST be cooked first.

    Kudos on your acknowledgement of self-worth which keeps you on your path :o) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious.
    I really like apples myself. But I usually do sencha - I don't really drink herbal tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely fantastic.
    It looks the heaven in a dish! I love this kind of flavor
    Have a nice day, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. LYNDS,

    LOVE ME SOME SHRIMP, SO I'D MOSTLY LIKELY TRY THIS DISH, MINUS THE PEPPERS, OF COURSE.

    YER DOING GREAT ON YER "JOURNEY," DOLL, I'M PROUD OF U.

    U MUST B IRISH, INDEED, IT SHOWS IN YER WILL POWER.

    ERIN GO BRAUGH!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lyndsay, you rock! I would have had a VERY hard time turning down the pastries. I have a terrible sweet tooth. I know what you mean though about feeling so good after. Way to go!! Your shrimp dish is perfect too - flavourful and healthy! Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone - thanks for the wonderful comments - they were fabulous to come to (long day, don't ask ;) Always good to have the love and support of my blog buddies!!

    Wayne, I rice the cauliflower after it's cooked. Not the same as white rice but a good low carb alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are doing a great job:) The recipe sounds so delicious. I'm going to bookmark it. Thanks for sharing & have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment