What's for Breakfast?

One of the challenges of being someone who features food in her blogs is coming up with new and interesting recipes.

The other challenge is in coming up with recipes that actually look and taste good - which is why I'm currently hesitating to feature last night's dinner - one I'm currently labeling as "Hodge Podge of Salmon" - because the jury is out over whether this was actually good or if my diet addled brain simply registered "Fabulous!" because I was so hungry.

In any case, hunger has its benefits because by the time I wake up in the morning I'm ready to go a few rounds in the kitchen - and we all know that anyone who has anything to say about health and nutrition is emphatic about the importance of eating breakfast.

So because I have nothing to share... no great new recipes, no brilliant commentary, no funny stories about the man I married.

Nada.

Zilcho.

Nothing.

I thought I would share what I had for breakfast.

I know. It has come to that.

On the menu this morning was: a poached Omega 3 egg on rye toast with two strips of turkey bacon, an orange, and a small container of fat free yogurt.

It was simple and easy to prepare, delicious, and packed an early morning punch by providing me with protein, carbohydrates, dairy, and fruit right off the bat.

The beauty of poaching is that your egg cooks in water so there is no added fat to contend with. And turkey bacon, at 25 calories a strip, 2 grams of fat, is a yummy way to enjoy the essence of bacon and eggs without leaving your health plan.

I like my eggs almost firm with a little bit of yolk still runny. To achieve this, poach for three minutes in water that is almost boiling and voila!



A great way to start the day.

Tip: (From prevention magazine): Eating more protein will rev up your metabolism. Your body uses more energy to process protein. This is known as the thermic effect of food. Studies show that digesting protein may burn up twice as many calories as digesting carbohydrates. In a typical diet, 14% of calories come from protein. Double that -and reduce carbs - to make up for the extra calories- and you can burn an additional 150 to 200 calories a day.

An 8 ounce cup of low fat plain yogurt at breakfast provides about 13 g of protein. Mix it with blueberries or other fruit for flavour. A 1/2 cup of hummus with lunch adds about 10 g, and a 3 ounce salmon filletfor dinner will give another 17 g.

Have a Fabulous Tuesday all!

Comments

  1. That looks so good, I am off to the kitchen to find an orange. Yum! Thank you for sharing, and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNDS...

    BREAKFAST HAS BECOME MY FAVE MEAL OF THE DAY HERE IN THIS DUMP AND YERS LOOKS AND SOUND 2 DIE 4 AS DOES EVERY- THING ELSE U CONJURE UP FANTASMAGORI- CALLY BY YER KITCHEN WITCHERY EACH DAY IN THE APPROPRIATELY PRE-CHOSEN TIME SLOTS.

    MY FAVE YEAR ROUND MORNING FRUITS R NAVAL ORANGES AND GREEN BANANAS.

    SUMMER FRUITS...[DROOL] CANTALOUPE, BING CHERRIES, PLUMS, NECTARINES, MANDARIN ORANGES, PEELED PEACHES, [I HATE THE FUZZ]FRESH PINEAPPLE, BLACK BERRIES, RASPBERRIES, FRESH PICKED STRAWBERRIES.

    GREAT BLOG, SUNSHINE.

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be challenging, can't it? This breakfast looks delish. It's funny, but I've been having real orange cravings lately, and generally I'm not a citrus person at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment