Burn More Fat with These Three Breakfast Foods

It seems strange to admit this now, but I have never been much of a breakfast eater.

And I can recall mornings as recent as a few months ago, where I would begin to feel desperately hungry around 10 am only to run to the bakery next to my office and fill the gap with some kind of sugary carb.

Add to that, I wasn't getting adequate sleep (a key component not just to a healthy lifestyle, but to weight loss), and was most likely dehydrated (more on water in a future blog) so that by 3 in the afternoon most days I felt hungry, unproductive, and exhausted.

I lived life that way thinking it was an age thing rather than lifestyle related.

But after five weeks of getting enough sleep, exercising everyday, drinking adequate amounts of water, and eating breakfast I am learning there is a whole new life out there of feeling energetic, alive, and - sweet Mary of the Vespers - YOUNG!

Not only do I FEEL younger, I LOOK younger too.

(People, I am just vain enough to admit - that, by itself, is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow for good.)

Because I love you all, I decided to share some more information from Real Age.com about breakfast and how to take advantage of foods that will not only help you feel more alert, they will give your body a fat burning advantage.

These foods, which have been credited with extra fat-burning and pound-dropping powers in recent studies are: eggs, yogurt, and whole-grain cereal.

How They Help

Eggs: When people on low-calorie diets ate two scrambled eggs with toast and jam for breakfast, they lost 65 percent more weight than the dieters who started their day with a bagel. The protein in eggs probably helps control appetite, so people eat less. (Try this recipe for my sweet maple sausage breakfast sandwich)

Yogurt: Calcium and other helpful compounds in yogurt may help stop fat storage and turn up fat burn. In one study, overweight people on reduced-calorie diets lost 61 percent more fat overall -- and even more belly fat -- when they ate three 6-ounce servings of yogurt every day. This was compared with the people who had no yogurt in their diets. (Short on time? Scroll to the end of the blog for my recipe for On the Go Banana Blueberry Smoothies.)

Whole-Grain Cereal: Research shows that people lose more belly fat when they replace refined-grain foods with whole grains. All the appetite-controlling fiber they pick up in the process probably accounts for the slimming effect. Plus, whole grains can help control blood sugar and lower blood pressure, and they can even reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers. (Try this recipe for my cinnamon blueberry oatmeal)

Keeping all of this good news in mind, I try to vary my breakfasts to include at least one of these three foods everyday. Instead of eating the same thing every morning, having a variety of dishes to turn to keeps things interesting - a key component to sticking with it for me.

One of my favourite "go to breakfasts" on busy weekday mornings is the smoothie. The one I make is a creamy, nutrient rich, mixture of regular or soy milk, blueberries, banana, no fat Greek yogurt, and one scoop of Greens Nutra-lean Plus powder.


















Just blend it up with a couple ice cubes (my trick for making smoothies nice and cold) and you've got a delicious and action packed way to start the day!

So here's to the start of a beautiful day!

Until next time everyone, be well...

Comments

  1. I was just wondering what to have for breakfast, and now I know: two hard boiled eggs sound perfect to me. That way, later, when I'm in the living room doing curls and high-steps I'll be full of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing this about eggs (plus the jam and toast!). I have only recently - say the last two years - become a breakfast eater. Unfortunately, in my case, it has not made one ounce of difference in my weight. But I like your breakfast starter ideas, so I'm going to try these things for a week and see what happens. Loving your blog, Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsay, congrats, you were one of my giveaway winners! Email me with your address when you get a chance! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaime, sounds like a wonderful start to your day :-)

    Pattie, thanks for the kind words, I love that you are enjoying the blog!

    Brenda - whooo hoo!!!!!!! I am so excited to have won this! Can't wait to wear it in upcoming videos (in which I will shout out to your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love whole grain cereal. It's my favorite. I've never liked the sugary crap they market to kids. Even as a kid I liked the cereal on the top shelf that is whole grain. My mom thought I was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips Lyndsay! I was never a big bagel fan, but I always like to eat something for breakfast. Usually whole grain toast with almond butter and an organic apricot jam. Eggs are saved for the weekend, but this week I made a breakfast sandwich for everyone on my homemade English muffins. It was so much fun!

    Congrats, and keep up the good energy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LYNDS,

    GLORY B, I ACTUALLY HAVE SOMETHING 2 CONTRIBUTE...

    MY RECIPE 4 A KILLER FRUIT SMOOTHIE"

    2 ICE CUBES
    1 C VANILLA YOGURT
    HANDFUL OF FROZEN MIXED BERRIES
    1 TBSP CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER
    1 TBSP FROZEN OJ
    1/2 C OATS
    1 C MILK

    COMBINE IN BLENDER, BLEND, GRIND 4 1 MINUTE 30 SECONDS IF U LIKE IT THICK, LONGER AND ADD A LITTLE MORE MILK IF
    U PREFER THINNER.

    IT'S DELICIOUS AND NUTRITIOUS AND THE PERFECT WAY 2 START YER DAY!

    [OK, THAT SOUNDED JUST A TAD FLORENCE HENDERSON-EE...ANYONE ELSE THINK SO? EH, PROLLY JUSS ME! HA!]

    TOWANDA, BABY, AND YAY 4 BREAKFAST!

    ~IDGY~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment