Diary of a Determined Dieter - It's Been One Month!

To start things off, I won't be posting the recipe for last night's vegetarian pasta dish because it was just okay and I have a strict rule that any recipes shared on this blog have to be, at the very least, something I would make again.

What is it with me and vegetarian?

One thing I have learned, though, is that whole wheat pasta is INCREDIBLE. Not only do I love the way it tastes when cooked to al dente, I can only eat about half as much as I would regular pasta because my "I've had enough meter" comes on more quickly with the whole wheat.

In other news, today marks the one month anniversary since I began this odyssey into weight loss, exercise, and healthier living and I am still going strong.

To be honest, I'm wondering if all of my dieting and exercise efforts of the past are making a difference this time around because, this time around is different.

I also have a theory that food blogging is contributing somewhat to this difference.

Being able to channel my love of food and cooking into learning how to create meals that are still delicious has, as Robert Frost so eloquently put it, made all the difference.

I've also discovered that I am no longer an emotional eater. Food, though a source of ongoing fascination with me, is not a drug per se.

What I am is an "indulgent eater" - meaning I've been living in denial that I can scarf back whatever I want - butter, potatoes, white bread, fast food, and junk with absolutely no repercussions despite my age and slowing metabolism.

I also come up with excuses.

"I'm too tired to exercise."
"One bag of chips isn't going to hurt me."
"Yadda Yadda, pass the butter."

As "foodie" I somehow came to believe that healthy food couldn't be tasty, and that life changes such as these had to painful.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

As is the idea that I can burn the candle at both ends with no repercussions.

Late nights are the roads that lead back to excess for me because I am a person who needs at least 8 hours of sleep a night. 9 hours are best.

When I get into the habit of staying up past 10 pm, watching TV or fooling around on the computer, it throws off my balance. I begin snacking at night, and am tired during the day - causing false hunger, feelings of melancholy or depression and, you guessed it, more eating. To make matters worse, the whole thing makes me feel too tired to exercise.

I've actually tracked this back over the last couple of years and can see the pattern - as soon as my nights get later (as they often do when the days grow longer ) my good habits slowly begin to go out the window - and this year, at the one month point I am on guard for that!

So here are more goals for month two:
  • Continue with the same eating plan
  • Add three days of strength training to my weekly routine
  • Take the time for a full stretching session at least once a day every day
  • Continue on running plan (I want to be in good enough shape to sign up for a boot camp in July while I'm on holidays)
  • Continue getting to bed by 9 pm weekdays, 11 pm weekends.
And that's it!

I remain committed to my life :-)

How about you?

Comments

  1. Lyndsay, you're doing such a fantastic job! I've learned to listen to my body when it says it's bedtime. I usually can't make it past 10:00 p.m. on the weekdays and that's okay. Sometimes 9:00 p.m. I, too, get hungry and want to snack if I force myself to stay up. Keep up the good work, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am losing weight but slowing down...and I know my problem is caving into laziness on both the eating and the exercise part...havent really been doing the exercise I need to and am finding I am getting into a rut with my food choices...gonna have to revamp my menu this weekend & plan it out better to fit exercise in!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LYNDS,

    'THE DETERMINED DIETER' IS THE PERFECT MONIKER 4 U DURING THIS PHASE OF 'THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE,' AS WE USED 2 CALL IT BACK IN THE DAY.

    YER ROLE MODEL/GOOD EXAMPLE STATUS HAS GONE THRU THE ROOF, AND IF DR. OZ HAD A FACE BOOK ACCOUNT, U'D B THE FIRST FACE WE'D SEE ON HIS FRIENDS LIST, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.

    CONTINUING 2 CHEER U ON IN YER EFFORTS, MY DEAR FRIEND!

    TOWANDA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone :-)

    Meanwhile, I was in bed last night by 10:30 - it is AMAZING to feel this well rested!

    Have a hike planned for today and then a trip to the library and health food store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're inspiring me to pay more attention to my food intake, my habits, and my own exercise. I'm glad you're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing thrills me more than to know I might be inspiring a friend :-) Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment