Kitchen Witch Tip of the Week: Making Fresh Flowers Last Longer

One of the things I love to do when I'm not blogging, cooking, or shooting video's is to gather tips and information relating to home, decorating, cooking, diet, exercise, fashion - or any one of the other many things that hold my interest.

Because of this, I've got so many great tried and true tips tucked away I decided to share some of them - starting today.

As spring approaches many of us are still faced with the doldrums of grey April weather that hasn't yet decided to turn sunny.

One of my favourite ways to brighten my world at this time of year before the flowers in my garden come out, is to fill my spaces with fresh flowers. Especially in rooms we may not think about.

There's something so beautiful and modern about fresh flowers in the house.






















Believe it or not, though, the flowers pictured above were almost two weeks old thanks to the most fabulous tip for helping fresh flowers last longer:

Mountain Dew!!










I know!

That's what I said too.

But its as effective at amping up fresh flowers as it is little kids!

Now that I use the Dew, my flowers last almost two weeks - sometimes longer depending on the variety.

All you do is fill a vase half way with warm water and fill it the rest of the way with Mountain Dew. Plunk your flowers in and Voila!

I change the water and cut the stems once a week.

If you try this, let me know how it worked for you!

Comments

  1. I love it! Great tip for keep cut flowers fresh! I do miss seeing the tulips come up this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew???!!! And I worked in a FLORIST!!!! Thanks! I will try this! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard that tip before but it sounds fantastic! I love my flowers so I will have to give it a try. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a new one on me, but it's worth a try. It's funny that you used white tulips to illustrate your point. I was just telling my husband the other day that I'd like some white tulips around the house. There is just something so fresh and clean about them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment