Nutrient Rich Turkey Sandwiches

There's something about a sandwich, don't you think?

Easily transportable, good for any occasion, and a blank slate for culinary creation because, truly, anything goes when it comes to building the ultimate Dagwood, Reuben, or Clubhouse - the noble sandwich remains one of my favourite things to eat for lunch.

Does anyone remember some of the great sandwiches from TV?











When Archie Bunker slapped cold cuts and mustard on bread in the 70's, or Cliff Huxtable bit into one of his forbidden hoagies in the 80's, I was licking my lips and wanting one of my own.

But now that health and diet have become so important, whole mayonnaise, cheese, white bread, and high fat cold cuts are no longer snack or lunchtime options.

This doesn't mean, however, that sandwiches are off limits because the healthy combination of ingredients that can go between two slices of bakery fresh whole grain bread are endless and today I'm going to share a sandwich invention I've come up with that I absolutely love.

The fact that it is also packed with nutrients like lycopene, lutein, beta carotene, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, potassium, lean protein, and fibre - to name just a few - makes this a mid-day meal that is not only delicious, it packs a high energy punch.

















Here's what you do...
  1. Take two slices of high quality whole grain bread. Spread one side with 1 tsp low fat Hellman's mayonnaise, and both sides with 1 Tbsp grainy Dijon mustard,
  2. Lay 2-3 ounces of low fat roasted turkey breast over one piece of bread, 1/2 sliced avocado, and 1/4 cup tinned mandarin oranges that have been rinsed, drained, and dried off between two pieces of paper towel.
  3. Sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper and top with baby spinach leaves and the second slice of bread.
  4. If taking this to the office, wrap well in cellophane and keep refrigerated.
Until tomorrow everyone, eat well, get moving, and stay healthy!

xoxoxo

Comments

  1. LOVE the combination of flavors here. This is a great one!

    ps I need guest posts in a few weeks if you are interested. stop by for details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM, this sounds delish! I am going to try this! Thanks! Love the combo! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had turkey and avocado, but the addition of the mandarin oranges is genius! After Thanksgiving I always make turkey sandwiches with the leftover cranberry sauce and love that extra touch of sweetness. I know I'll like this combination. Thanks, Lyndsey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment