Oven Roasted Jamaican Jerk Chicken

The first time I ever had jerk chicken was during a trip to Seattle where I visited the home of a good friend and equally good cook.

She grilled it with the skin on and served it with fluffy mashed potatoes.

















I loved everything about the dish - from the intoxicating blend of spices, to the moist tenderness of the meat and every now and then I get a craving for those warm, sweet flavours - which is exactly what happened Thursday evening.

It was a beautiful spring afternoon, and as I drove home from work anticipating the wonder of a four day weekend, my mind travelled to thoughts of dinner.

As is often the case, I stopped at my local grocery store on the way home looking for inspiration and decided on chicken - coming the conclusion some kind of jerk seasoning would be just what the doctor ordered.

And it was!

I marinated four boneless skinless chicken breasts for two hours in the following blend:
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 small jalapenos
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Splash spiced rum
Put all ingredients into food processor. Mix on high for 15 pulses.

Wrap the chicken breasts, marinade and all, in tinfoil and bake at 350 for one hour.

It would also be amazing on the grill.

The result was so flavourful and delicious that I just had to share!

















Have a great weekend everyone!

Comments

  1. Mmmmm it looks wonderful...and I believe I can smell it all the way here in Florida! The fluffy mashed potatoes look perfect (any cream cheese in those?) :D

    I tagged you for our 5 Recipes to Celebrate Easter. Hope you can join us for the fun. Nothing too hard just show us some goodies from the past. Have a great Easter Lyndsay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make up batches of dry jerk spice and put it in the tiny canning jars and add it to gift baskets.
    I also have made up lots of the whole recipe with the liquid and added in the chicken, put in a ziplock freezer bag and pop them into the freezer for future drooling good dinners in no time at all.
    Any way you try it, it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment