The Birthday Present I Gave Myself

In exactly four days I will be celebrating my 45th birthday.

And while I was feeling decidedly "whoo hoo" about it already, this morning in an effort to turn right when I would normally go left, I solidified my new found knowing that nothing in life is ever too late.

How do I know this?

Because I woke up this morning feeling a little out of sorts.

Last week's business trip had me exercising less and eating more and here, at the 20 pound juncture in my weight loss journey, is where I have fallen off the wagon many times before.

Sitting on my couch drinking coffee and knowing I didn't have to go into the office until this afternoon had me at odds with myself - I mean, what business did I have thinking I could enter a national cooking competition and do well at it?

Normally this would be a cue to open the chip bag and surrender.

But this little voice inside me - the one I have been nurturing and learning to pay better attention to - said "You need to go for a long run."

Bear in mind, mine is the body that nine weeks ago was out of breath walking to the top of the street.

The little voice, however, made sense.

It was a beautiful spring morning. I have the most thoughtful and dedicated running partner.






















And fresh air has always had a way of clearing out the cobwebs for me.

So instead of letting myself slide back into old patterns, on this day, four days before my 45th birthday, I chose to run.

Here's where it gets good:

Somehow over the last nine weeks my body has managed to recover itself to the extent that I just got back from the 7 km run I used to do 15 years ago when TH was still in elementary school.

A run that I honestly believed was something I would never, ever be able to do again.

Life is limitless with possibility and with each moment we have the power to make choices that either help or hinder our growth and our progress.

I am once again reminded that opportunity awaits me. I simply have to continue opening the door.

Towanda.

Comments

  1. You are awesome, Lyndsay! I'm so proud to be on this crazy cream cheese journey with all of you wonderful women.
    And woohoo on 7k! I'm still trying to fully complete my first 5. thought I made it last run, but was short .5 km...teaches me to read the map better before heading out next time. :P
    And in case I forget...Happy Early Birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that Jeanine, and I feel the same way about you :-)

    Way to go on the running - you're almost at 5 k!!!!!!!!!!

    I feel so blessed to be loving life and am learning the power of exercise is great indeed!

    xoxoxoxoxo (your rocking the dessert round! I would be OVERJOYED to see your face in one of those little boxes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your running pal looks motivated. Great going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lyndsay! Happy Birthday to you! AND you are not the only one that is having talks with yourself. You have inspired me to do the same. I am not a runner, however, I am a biker and hiker. Last year I was doing really well and then winter came. This winter I will use my treadmill. Thank you.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the early birthday wishes :-)

    And Cathy, I wish I had a treadmill!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Early Birthday Lyndsay!

    I've already told you this, but you got my butt moving again too, LOL. This whole Philly journey has taught me that I've been putting Cindy on the back burner too long, by only focusing on Mommy.

    Thanks so much for showing us that you can accomplish anything if you try and can still have some yummy Philly in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww that is the cutest running partner! I happen to have 2 miniature schnauzers and they are the best walking partners! They enjoy being outside so much! You are doing great! And happy belated birthday! Hope it was a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment