Summer Fresh Mac and Cheese

I'm excited to report that my trip to Toronto to compete in the final cook off for The Real Women of Philadelphia happens in less than a week!

After months of fun and laughter with the women in the community who I have now come to think of as friends, I am thrilled for the opportunity to actually get to meet some of them in person.

I often say this, but the magic in life is in its surprises.

Those things around the bend we had no idea were going to happen - new friends come into our lives, new dreams begin, new opportunities emerge...

These last few months since I began my initial adventure on Recipe to Riches, my decision to become the Determined Dieter, and onward to the cream cheesiest experience anyone could ever ask for, have been some of the most fun and richly rewarding moments I've had in a very long time.

Because of that, I decided to pay homage to the entire experience by featuring a brand new recipe featuring Philadelphia Cream Cheese every day this week.

And how better to start than with a recipe for Mac and Cheese - except, this time with a twist?

Zingy Gruyere cheese, combines with cream cheese, cheddar, sweet cherry tomatoes, and summery fresh basil to make an absolutely delicious weeknight dish.

I hope you enjoy!

Summer Fresh Mac and Cheese
For printable recipe click HERE

















Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Serves: 8

Ingredients
  • 1 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup Philly light cream cheese
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1 cup halved sweet cherry tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp corn starch
  • 1 Tbsp low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • fresh cracked black pepper to taste
  • 4 cups macaroni noodles
Directions
  1. Cook the macaroni noodles in boiling water until just al dente. Add salt during the last 30 seconds of boiling
  2. Meanwhile, bring the cup of broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and add the cream cheese. Stir until the cream cheese in incorporated into the sauce. Add the other cheeses and stir until melted. Add the tomatoes and fresh basil.
  3. Stir the cornstarch together with the additional Tbsp of broth and then add to the cheese sauce. Stir until thickened and reduce heat to low. 
  4. When macaroni is cooked, drain it and then add to the cheese sauce. Stir well. Serve with fresh cracked black pepper and additional fresh basil as garnish.


***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. LYNDS...

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS, WILL DEFINITELY
    B TRYING THE RECIPE.

    I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT TORONTO!

    I'D GIVE "ANYTHING" 2 B GOING WITH U,
    BUT I "WILL" B THERE WITH U IN SPIRIT.

    I HAVE SUCH GREAT FAITH IN U AND YER
    GIFT 4 MAKING MAGIC IN THE KITCHEN.

    I HOPE I'M SAFELY IN BED WHEN THEY
    ANNOUNCE U AS THE WINNER!

    CYBER HUGZ AND A SMOOCH EVERY DAY UNTIL THE COOK OFF!

    I WON'T WISH U LUCK, B/C U DON'T NEED IT, IT'S IN THE BAG, BABY!

    TOWANDA!

    YER #1 FAN 4 LIFE!

    ~ERIN~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment