Why Smoothies Aren't Just for Breakfast Anymore

Yesterday's post about the three liquids that help curb hunger got me thinking about smoothies as a potential snack option.

I have long been a fan of the smoothie as a breakfast item and dash out the door most mornings with some kind of protein smoothie in hand, but had never really contemplated having one at other times of the day.

What I've noticed lately, however, is that I've been more hungry at night than usual and have been letting my diet get top heavy - letting myself get hungry during the day, and then eating more than I should in the evening.

To rectify that, I decided I need to be:

a) drinking more water as dehydration can disguise itself as hunger
b) satsfying my hunger during the day with healthy mini meals

And that's where the beauty of the smoothie comes in because it is loaded with calcium and protein from the milk and yogurt, full of nutrients and fibre from the fruit, and better still - as one of the liquids that curb hunger - it also hydrates.

This afternoon I had a craving for something that would resemble a "Julius" drink in taste and consistencyand came up with the following recipe that was just delicious!

I hope you enjoy...

Sunshine Smoothies






















 Ingredients
  • 1 cup milk
  • juice from one whole orange
  • 1 banana
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 small container vanilla yogurt
  • 3 ice cubes
Directions

Whir up in a blender until it is froth and bubbly. Enjoy!

Comments