Mario Batali's Spaghetti alla Carbonara

As I've become more and more interested in food, it occurs to me there are many recipes I have never tried because I'm intimidated.

Among them: carpaccio, southern fried chicken, and today's recipe for Spaghetti alla Carbonara.

The first time I ever had this was over 20 years ago at a dinner party and I remember how much I loved it - however, I never tried making it myself because I always worried it was too complicated - which, as it turns out, couldn't have been further from the truth. This dish was not only as delicious as I remember, it was super quick and easy to put together!

In the spirit of that, I want to go out on some culinary limbs this year and plan to feature - and try - recipes from well known chefs that have always seemed out of reach. A few chefs that I have in mind are Rick Bayless, Laura Calder,  and today's featured chef, Mario Batali's Spaghetti alla Carbonara.

The recipe comes with the option of creating your own un-smoked Italian bacon called Guanciale which is made with pig jowls. Though I used store bought bacon this time, I don't believe I will have stretched my culinary ability adequately until I actually make my own Guanciale.

Next time.

Regardless, the end result was a silky, gorgeous, pasta dish that I would be proud to serve to anyone.

Have you cooked a dish lately that challenged you and turned out great?

If so, I would love to hear about it.

Perhaps I will put it on my rotation of dishes to try.

It's all about learning, growing, and experiencing new things!


Happy Thursday everyone!

Comments

  1. You did a wonderful job...it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Lyndsay! Tyson made me home made linguine with alfredo sauce for Valentine's Day-I was always too nervous to try carbonara for some reason, so thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, Melissa here from Food Bloggers of Canada. Just popping by to check out your blog and to let you know we've added you to our Membership Directory. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment