Cocktails and Gossip - Guy Fieri and Watermelon Mojitos

We began our inaugural week of Cocktails and Gossip with Anthony Bourdain - so who better to follow up with than another Food Network celeb he has been critical about - Guy Fieri?














Described as one of the "Ten things Anthony Bourdain and David Chang hate" Fieri has taken heat over the years for everything from being the second season winner of Next Food Network Star to rolling pork into rice and calling it sushi.

But the latest scuttlebut is far more damning because Fieri, a self proclaimed bad ass, is also rumoured to be sexist, racist, and homophobic.

According to David Page, the former creator of DDD in a piece titled Diners, Drive Ins, and Disasters - after the show ran a few seasons, its host became more and more demanding.

From the original article written by Gregory Pratt:

"As his star power grew, Fieri stopped returning Page's phone calls. When NBC hired Fieri to film the primetime game show Minute to Win It, Guy started canceling shoots with Page. A posse of friends—a bawdy band of homeboys with names like Gorilla, Kleetus, and Dirty P.—trailed Guy everywhere, and his manager, Tom Nelson, took to calling himself "the consigliore." The group became known as the Garlic Mafia, and Fieri styled himself as the mob boss."

 You have to protect Guy from all of his poop jokes," Page says. "Anytime any woman mentioned 'cream,' Guy went into a sexual riff. When cutting the show, you had to tell the editors to watch Guy's eye line, because it's always on breasts."

Fieri also needed protection from homosexuals, or at least advance warning. Early in the show's run, Page got a phone call from Fieri, who'd just walked out of a restaurant in a huff.

"Guy had decided that the two men running the restaurant were life partners," Page remembers. "He said, 'You can't send me to talk to gay people without warning! Those people weird me out!'"

From then on, show researchers were required to note any indications of homosexuality detected during pre-interviews. 

It should also be noted that while I was doing research to put this together, the theme that Fieri can be rude and insensitive came up several times from a few different sources - however, I also read that he is driven, loyal to his friends, and was very successful in the restaurant industry long before Next Food Network Star - for this reason, I shy away from believing anything I read or see unless I'm actually privy to it in person.

Shows can be edited, disgruntled ex partners can say things, and in the court of popular opinion it is very easy to be convicted as guilty simply because someone said so.

And so, I'm wondering what others think?

Do these rumours hold any weight - and if they do, does it matter? If you found out tomorrow Guy Fieiri was every negative thing that has been said about him, would you still watch Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives?

In the meantime, how about a cocktail?

Today's recipe for Watermelon Vodka Mojitos can only be described as Just. That. Fabulous.

Click here for the printable recipe or visit my step by step how to video.


As always, have a happy Saturday!



 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. this looks fabulous, Lyndsay! I love mojitos, so I have to try this version. It screams SUMMER to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanine :-) If you love mojitos, you'll love this one!

      Delete
  2. Guys are guys.... I mean put a pair of boobs in front of them and they'll most likely take a peek, LOL. I'm not sure I mean it's all about editing, and images when you're a star. Who really knows. He seems genuine enough on TV, but anyone can put on the persona needed from one moment to the next. Unless you really know Guy, you'll never really know the truth....

    Those mojitos scream summer. I think I'll buy the fixins for my sister in laws Doctorate party/picnic in June and treat her to a few, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Guy Fieri comes across as genuine on camera. He could be guilty of some of the things said, but it's all about context.

      You will LOVE this drink!

      Delete
  3. I hope he is not homophobic, that would turn me off of him.............. just sayin.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that one's a deal breaker for me too Pinky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyndsay, this sounds so refreshing and thanks for the great tips, my kids will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember watching him that season on Star, many times he looked like a deer in the headlights! Got a chuckle out of the Garlic Mafia. Obviously I don't know him, but his persona is fun and energetic, I enjoy watching him for the entertainment factor. (Can't say I've ever learned anything from him though, which is why I think DDD is a good fit:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've watched Guy's Big Bite and some of his specials and cant say that I've tried or printed out any of his recipes. For me his show came on after I watched another food show. I heard he was difficult but that sometimes happens when you become famous and easily reconizable . He certainly is entertaining and has the personality tv wants. I hope that he isnt homophobic, sexist or trashy but he is very well off thanks to FNC.

    Love love love this Saturday dish ........ Keep it up

    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh oh... and he seems like such a nice guy! Well nobody is perfect, but I would be very disappointed if he were a sexist and homophobic! It did seem his fame went to his head really soon though, but I still like his program! Great gossiping Lindsay! and the cocktail! Yumn I agree, it does scream summer cocktail and I am so very ready for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the dish gals!! Let's get our gossip on again next weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly don't know what to think about these food stars. Because I've watched a lot of Bourdain's shows and have read some of his books, I tend to believe he tells it like it is or better put, how he sees it from his viewpoint. Stars also have big egos and Guy may be able to get by with saying stuff that's not appropriate.

    As far as Guy goes, his shows seem all the same to me, "oh man" as he says loudly. He likes everything he tastes, and from there I am bored and tune out. Guess he couldn't say he didn't like what he tasted though...Tough spot to be in.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Lyndsay! To tell the truth Guy Fieri doesn't look like much of a "bad ass" to me! If I ever bump into him I will make him the offer and see where it goes from there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment