Caribbean Jerk Style Oven Roasted Chicken ~ The Kitchen Witch ~ Easy Recipes

Do you remember back in the day when the thought of staying home on a Friday night was akin to slow and painful torture? When wanting to see and be seen, schmooze, flirt, and trip the light fantastic (did I just date myself?) was everything, and sitting at home with nothing but the TV and a bag of chips was about as depressing as it could get?

If anyone had told me then that 20 years later my idea of the perfect Friday would involve flannel pajamas, home cooking, and Netflix I never would have believed it. But here we are.

It's both strange and wonderful, the passage of time and though I will look back with forever fondness on my "salad days" I'm happy, now, to be exactly where I am. And exactly where I am is all about working hard and coming home - and when I get there, I want all of the flavour I would find in a restaurant.

Like today's recipe for Oven Roasted Jerk Style Chicken.















This incredibly easy recipe will result in moist, flavourful chicken every single time. The perfect meal to put together after a long hard week for yourself or for friends. And don't be put off by the color of the marinade - it will be dark - but no matter. This will be one of the best chicken dishes you've ever had. I promise, or my name ain't The Kitchen Witch!!

Caribbean Jerk Style Chicken
To view the printable recipe click here  

 Ingredients  

  • 1 whole chicken cut into pieces
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 small jalapenos or 1 tbsp hot pickled banana peppers
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • Generous splash spiced rum
Directions
  1. Put all ingredients into food processor. Mix on high for 15 pulses.
  2. Pour the marinade into a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken, mix well, and marinate overnight or for at least two hours.
  3. After the chicken breasts have marinated, place on a parchment lined sheet and bake in a 350 oven for one hour, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165. Turn twice while roasting.

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, a former website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada, the $20,000.00 winner of the online competition "The Real Women of Philadelphia" and a finalist on the Food Network Canada show Recipe to Riches. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Comments

  1. The chicken looks great! I've only had Jerk Marinade once and it was out of a bottle, love your from scratch recipe. Happy Friday:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friday night at home in my PJs is where I want to be. This chicken looks delish. I haven't made Jerk Chicken for ages, but my recipe is much more complicated than this one, so I think I'll give yours a try.

    We'll have to work out the apple thing in the future. Maybe we should both make them when we have time, and then when we've both done it, post them on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOe loves spicy, hot foods, me, not so much:):) I might try this for a Wed. night. I am always out at a meeting that night:):) XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment