My Slow Food Version of Filet o' Fish Sandwiches

Do you remember the first time you ever went to McDonalds?

I bet few people actually do. This because we live in a culture where going out for fast food is much more the norm than an occasional treat.

Not so, however, when I was growing up.

Back in those days, going to the movies was a big deal - as was having more than three channels on cable, enjoying treats like Dr. Pepper Big Gulps on hot afternoons, and chewing mounds of Hubba Bubba bubble gum in the playground after school with friends.

So you can imagine how it felt as a kid to hear the words "Let's go to McDonalds" uttered by my mother or a favourite baseball coach once, maybe twice a year if we were lucky.

But in that one little phrase was the promise of magic.

Maybe we'd get to sit in Ronald McDonald's caboose, receive a new toy in the special bag our dinner came in, and sip orange pop from a straw in a cup embellished with pictures of Mayor McCheese, The Hamburglar, Grimace, and the rest of the gang!

I feel sorry for kids nowadays because with all of the technology and easy access to, well, everything in this Orwellian world we're living and eating in, I ask myself often "Where did the magic go?"

When you walk into a McDonalds restaurant now, it is devoid of the characters that gave it whimsy and charm so many years ago. Now, re-designed as a low brow version of Starbucks, automated people place their orders either in person or via the drive thru while kids gulp down Pepsi and fries in the back seat and mom races them off to the next activity.

Which brings me to the theme of today's blog: Slowing things down.

It occurs to me that as a kid who lived in a household that  never had such things as store bought bread or processed food, it makes sense that Kraft Dinner and Oreo cookies were sources of wonder and longing for me.

Perhaps that is where the magic lies. In moving away from the established patterns of modern life and returning back to a path less taken - the road back to home baking, fresh ingredients, and sitting around the table as a family. TV off. Forks poised.

So that's what inspired today's recipe.

I belong to a wonderful group called The Canadian Cookies on Facebook. The group of us are committed to living a slower food life and we began talking last week about adapting famous fast food recipes into something that could be made at home with fresh ingredients.

I decided to try my hand at re-creating a childhood favourite: The Filet o' Fish sandwich and am so glad I did!

Tender on the inside crispy on the outside Haddock filets are nestled in a homemade hamburger bun that has been slathered in zesty homemade tartar sauce and topped with red ripe tomato and crispy green lettuce.

Even without the cheese, this will evoke memories of Ronald and the French Fry Guys, and perhaps start a whole new generation of children who enjoy eating fish that didn't come frozen in a box.

For the printable recipes, please click HERE.


Or pop by to visit my step by step How to Video on my cooking channel CHARMED,



Until tomorrow everyone, Happy Cooking!

Bookmark and Share

This post is linked to...




Mixitup

Comments

  1. Yum, I'll take yours over Mickey D's any day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone really eat at MCD'S....
    Looks easy and delicious Lyndsay, why would anyone not cook it at home :)
    I really enjoy your videos and ideas, always been a home cook but appreciate new quick yummy foods to try and you seem to have the knack for this !!! Love your website and videos, look forward to more !!
    cheers
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of inexplicable at this point isn't it? Mind you, as a kid how I loved anything that came in a bag with cartoon characters on it! Thanks for your kind words Sheila :-)

      Delete
  3. Hey, I remember the first time at Mcdonald's...we didn't go out much when I was a kid. We didn't have pop either except on Sundays at grandma's house with pop corn...or at birthday parties with the hot dogs they served (which I hated, rather have the pizza they serve at parties today) remember the party favors were just a little cup of mints and peanuts?!

    Anyway this looks so much better, and since I never eat it out I would make it and eat it at home for sure!!

    Hope your Easter is a good one!

    Lyndsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we not only have the same name, we had similar childhoods! I remember it being super exciting to win a mini box of Smarties playing party games :-) Those were the days!

      Delete
  4. The sandwich looks great, love the homemade bun:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I can't have any kind of burger on a store bought bun anymore. The homemade bun just makes it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This brought back so many memories!I love McDonald's fish sandwichs. Thanks for the recipe. I am also very interested in that homemade hamburger bun. YUMMY! Thanks for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY... have a great week.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled to be part of menu Monday Yvonne! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I love haddock, and I know that is not the fish that McDonald's uses. This sandwich would be ten times better than what you would get at a fast food place. I don't know why, but I always love a nice juicy slice of tomato on my fish sandwiches. I hope you had a gloriously wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to make these at home! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now have to go see The Canadian Cookies; what do you have to do to join this elite group? Great recipe!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come and join us Rita!! There is a button on the right side bar of my blog :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment