Cherry Hill - Little League Weekend and Old Fashioned Apple Cake

When last we left Cherry Hill Saskatchewan our heroine, Amanda, had made a new friend in Jack Wilson - town war hero turned high school teacher and baseball coach.

And the friendship has been especially timely since Amanda's husband Dr. Paul Fitzpatrick has been away quite a bit lately with his nurse Val...

In this popular series of letters home to mother, Amanda takes us on a journey through her life in 1947 Saskatchewan in a sleepy little town called Cherry Hill.

To read past installments of the series click HERE.

***
 May 8, 1947

Dear Mother,

It's been a busy month and with baseball season in full swing, I feel like I'm on the go from sun up to sun down!

But I'm excited to tell you that Bobby's little league team won last weekend's district tournament which means the team will be travelling to Regina later in the week for the provincial championships!






















Paul will be in Winnipeg at another medical convention which means I'll be going  along as a chaperone.

I am beside myself with excitement over the prospect of having time to do do some shopping as it's been an age since I've been to a department store and Regina has both a Hudson's Bay and an Eaton's store.

Mind you, Paul has advised me to be careful with my spending - with all the conferences he's attended this year, money is a little tight. Never fear though, as your daughter is ever thrifty.


















I had some egg money set aside for a rainy day, and the prospect of eating Chinese Food in one of Jack's favourite restaurants has me salivating already!

Jack knows so much about the world and was describing to me just the other day something called Peking Duck that he insists I have to try. Mother, you know how I am with unusual foods, but somehow the way Jack describes things I just want to jump in and take a big bite out of new experiences.

Sally is excited also.

She won't be traveling with us to the tournament as she's decided that she doesn't care for baseball so will instead be spending the weekend at her best friend Jane's house.

She and I will be baking a big container of heart shaped sugar cookies for the occasion as those are Jane's favourites. I may also bake Grandma Helen's Apple Cake as a little bird told me Jack loved the one I made for the church valentines day dance



With all he has done for the team, this is the least I can do to show my appreciation.

 Of course I won't mention a word of it to Paul who has taken quite the dislike to Jack, though I can't imagine why!

Apparently, though, Paul's nurse Val thinks Jack is quite the catch.

Between you and me, this gives me pause as there is just something about her that doesn't sit right with me. But no matter - this weekend Val is attending the conference with Paul in Winnipeg and the meantime, perhaps I can come up with the right kind of girl to match Jack up with!

Well that's all the news for now - other than to say I love and miss you.

Your loving daughter Amanda

Click the link to read the next installment: Amanda's Mother Suspects Trouble in Paradise

Grandma Helen's Old Fashioned Apple Cake














Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tbsp apple juice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 honey crisp apples, peeled, cored and sliced (if you can't find honey crisp, ask your grocer for alternatives suitable for apple crisp or pie)
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, beat egg and sugar until thick and light. Beat in oil, apple juice and vanilla.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture, stirring just until blended (batter will be thick).
  3. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar with cinnamon. 
  4. Arrange apple slices in a greased 8-inch (2 L) square or round metal cake pan. Sprinkle apples with half the brown sugar mixture. Carefully spread batter over apples; smooth top. Sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture.
  5. Bake in centre of 350 oven until cake is firm and pulls away slightly from sides of pan, 35 to 40 minutes. 
  6. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


 Subscribe to me on YouTube

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Oh my, poor Amanda may be in for a surprise, I will be anticipating the next installment!

    And now I will go see if I have enough apples....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha Chantal - poor Amanda doesn't have any idea what's coming!

      Delete
  2. oh those naughty doctors and their conferences.... and with his nurse no doubt!! That cake looks delicious and I can't wait for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Cindy, this cake recipe is so easy and so good - perfect for afternoon tea or coffee.Let's all hope Amanda gets a bit of a clue sometime soon ;)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Sorry, I was signed in to Miriam's account from setting up the RSS thing on her blog. Oops!)

    Anyway, as I was saying...Never trust those nurses! Thanks for sharing the letter home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really fun series! Can't help but wish there was a Jack in my life:@)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment