Summertime PSA #2 - Never Feed your Poolboy Fiber on a Hot Summer's Eve...

After all the talk of fat in last week's post - and yes, I said last week - I have been a bad Kitchen Witch; out enjoying fun in the sun instead of taking my rightful place in the kitchen! That said, however, I am cleaning up my culinary act and embarking on yet another one of my health kicks.

Which, for the Poolboy, can only mean one thing.

He's on it with me by default.

The way I look at it, if I'm getting healthier, he'd better damn well get with it too.

Within moderation, of course.

You know, I really did marry one of the good ones.

When I woke up Saturday morning and decided that the time was at hand, the PB didn't even blink so much as an eye when I informed him we were going shopping to stalk up on healthier food options.

There would be no more cookies, chips, ice cream, or donuts polluting our freezers and pantry.

No more steak, bacon, ham, or eggs laying in wait to clog up our arteries and raise our cholesterol.

No verily...

Saturday's shopping spree was to be one of healthy plunder, and fibre filled food stuff.

On the grocery list: Veggies, lean proteins, almond milk for smoothies, and chick peas - lots of them to throw into soups, salads, and hommous. I have a recipe that's extra garlicky and good.

Mind you - and you'd think by now I'd know better - I found out the hard way last night that feeding pureed chick peas and garlic to the Poolboy on fibre bread a half hour before bed is not only inadvisable, it's downright insanity.

At app 12:15 yesterday evening, I was awakened from gentle slumber by the sound of a cannon going off from under our covers.

Followed by an odour that can best be described as hot garlic and chick pea mixed with something eggish.

And lingering in the summer heatwave we are currently experiencing.

So that by 12:30, it got so bad I had to light an incense and do an entire spiritual cleansing of the bed.

Of course, the PB slept all the way through it.

Luckily, though, I was tired enough that the incense lulled me into a deep sleep shortly afterward - thus eliminating the need to keep the cleansing going all night.

And by morning we were all clear.

Praise Thor.

God of Thunder.

But back to the shopping!

I also bought:

Low sodium chicken broths for soups
Pre-cooked chicken breast meat to throw into soups and salads
Veggie patties, lentil patties, lentils, falafel, salmon, sole, ahi tuna, boneless skinless chicken breasts, brocoli, cauliflower, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, green onion, mushrooms, spinach, apples, oranges, pears, bananas, canteloupe
Soy milk, fibre crackers, brown rice, and dark chocolate.



People, I still have to live.

Watch for some brand new recipes and videos coming up in about a week along with the final chapter of How a Pork Tenderloin Saved my Life. In the meantime, check out my easy how to video for grilled halibut! This is light summer fare at its very best.

Happy cooking!



Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest
 

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. You continue to crack me up, however I can totally realte. Never thought of the incense!!!! Thanks for the idea:):) Love to you, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh thats so funny, did he read this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halibut is my favorite fish! I wish it wasn't so expensive here. I hope PB adjusts to the high fiber quickly. I am sure I have heard that chocolate, especially dark chocolate is good for you so let know one give you a sideways glance for putting that in the cart alongside the high fiber goodies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment