Amanda Receives a Mysterious Phone Call, Unrevealed Secrets in Cherry Hill

Welcome to my web series "A Taste of Nostalgia in Cherry Hill!"














Featuring Amanda Fitzpatrick, a young wife and mother in 1940's Saskatchewan and a cast of colorful characters around whom, many unexpected happenings are occuring behind the scenes...

When we last visited Cherry Hill our heroine, the newly widowed Amanda, had begun putting the shattered pieces of her life back together and prepared Easter dinner for handsome war hero Jack Wilson, his parents, and a dashing new character,  Dr. Walt Fischer - Cherry Hill's newest attending physician.

To get caught up on past episodes, please visit my Cherry Hill page. And then, let's join Amanda and see what's happening this week!

***

Sunday, April 18, 1948

Dear Mother,

Spring has definitely sprung in Cherry Hill, and with it, after a terrible year of uncertainty and grief, I feel renewed somehow, and hopeful. This is such a blessing because over the winter, it it wasn't for the children, there were days when it was all I could do just to get out of bed.

But I feel like I'm getting back to myself again and I'm actually excited about my teaching position. At first it was merely something to keep my mind off things and help me put one foot in front of the other, but now I'm discovering a real love for the girls and their eagerness to learn homemaking skills.

















Helping young people learn how to care for the home, budget, and cook nutritious, economical meals is something I am so proud to be a part of - almost as though I were contributing, somehow, to the life of happier households and families!

And I must tell you about a new discovery of mine. The Duncan Hines company has recently come out with a  something called a "Boxed Cake Mix" to which you just add water and bake! Talk about a wonderful new convenience - and the cake comes out quite lovely and moist just as is. But I thought it would be a fun class project to have the girls "doctor the mix up a bit" and I have to tell you, the cake we created called the "Pineapple Coconut Cloud Cake" was an utter dream! I will include a recipe for you to try at the end of my letter.
















Meanwhile, life in Cherry Hill is not without its hiccups and I have to admit, I'm a little worried about Mr. Wilson. I told you about the production that went on over Easter when he spiked the punch, well now Walt Fisher, the new town doctor, has got him involved in some kind of top secret Men's Lodge called "The Royal Order of the Sceptre."

I wouldn't mention it, except Mrs. Wilson has got herself into quite the tizzy about it claiming the group seems "UnGodly."

Between you and I, I think it has more to do with the fact that the goings on in the lodge are top secret and she hates not being at the hub of everything, let alone not being able to control it!

Mother, I can already imagine what you're saying so there is no need to chastise me. I truly do not want to be mean spirited but sometimes Mrs. Wilson gets under my skin. I will, therefore, take the high road and change the topic because I have news!

You'll never believe it but Dr. Fischer has apparently been making headway with Val. Although she still has not regained any memory, his new nurse, Sally Johnson from two houses down, shared in complete confidence at the Ladies Auxiliary that he found a small piece of some kind of metal under her skin just beside her ear. He wouldn't tell Sally what it was but Sally thinks it's a piece of the wreckage that got lodged there - which makes sense, and could also help to explain the amnesia.

In any case, Dr. Walt Fischer is shaping up to be quite the brilliant doctor and, most certainly, an interesting man. Just the other day he stopped me outside the pharmacy and... oh wait... there's the phone. Must go, will resume writing shortly.















Amanda rushes to the phone and hears a muffled voice say, "Nothing is as it appears. Find Jack and tell him 'Zanzibar' - he will know what this means."

"Who is this?" asks Amanda, her eyes the size of saucers.

"I've said too much. They're coming. Zanzibar. Find Jack and tell no one of this phone call."

The caller hung up. 

***

Will Amanda figure out who made the mysterious phone call? And what of Zanzibar? If nothing is as it appears, who is Jack? And how does he fit into the mystery?

Tune in next week... things are just getting started!!

To read the next installment in my popular web series Cherry Hill, click the link: Jack's Secret Love

Visit the printable recipe for the Cloud Cake here: Pineapple Coconut Cloud Cake.

Watch my easy to follow step by step video to learn how to make this cake yourself!




Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest
 

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader

Comments

  1. Oh you tease, a cliff hanger ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story has decided to take a whole new turn!! I'm excited to see where the twisty road is leading... Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. It is appreciated.

      Delete
  2. I'M IN HEAVEN!!!!!!!! CHERRY HILL HAS RETURNED AND ALREADY I AM ONCE AGAIN ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT. I AM SO HAPPY THAT U HAVE REPRISED THIS AMAZING STORY AND I CAN ASSURE U THAT I WILL B HOLDING MY BREATH WITH GREAT ANTICIPATION AS THE NEXT CHAPTER UNFOLDS. TOWANDA, DOLL.
    ZANZIBAR, BABY!!!!! WOOT! WOOT! MUCH LOVE, ~ERIN~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment