How to Make Crockpot Chicken Chow Mein for Weekday Wednesday

Although I've been embracing my "wilder" side this year, taking chances, and yadda yadda, there is still this older and wiser (read: neurotic) part of my personality that appreciates a good plan. A list.
With a column marked "To Do" where I can systematically cross off items and accomplishments in red pen as I complete them.

In the spirit of that, cooking for the freezer and the crockpot have been occasional pursuits over the years. Those who have been around awhile will remember my spate of freezer cooking where I was getting up at 5:00 am to cook in bulk before work. This to make my life easier.

I know.

Thankfully, the passage of time has blessed me with new found emotional and spiritual growth and I'm now much more particular about the meals I deem as "make ahead" - so you have my promise, the one I'm about to share is really good.

Crock pot chicken chowmein is made with chicken breasts, carrots, green onions, and celery. The perfect dish on a Weekday Wednesday! Scroll down for the recipe and a link to the How To Video.
















For printable recipe click HERE 




Ingredients
  • 1 tsp vegetable oil
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
  • 6 sliced green onions
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
  •  1 cup bean sprouts
  •  1 can 8 oz, 227 ml can sliced water chestnuts
  • 397 gram package of Chinese Style Steam Fried Chow Mein Noodles
Sauce
  • 1 cup no sodium chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp white sugar
  • 1/3 cup light soy sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon Siracha chili sauce or cayenne pepper
  • 2 tsps fresh grated ginger
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)

Directions
  1. Heat oil in skillet; brown chicken, stirring to brown all sides. Put chicken pieces in a crock pot that has been sprayed with oil. 
  2. Place the carrots, green onions, mushrooms, celery, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts in next. 
  3. Stir together the sauce ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
  4.  During the last 15 minutes of cooking add the beansprouts to the crockpot. 
  5. Put the chow mein noodles in last, tossing well, to incorporate with the sauce, cover, and let steam 15 more minutes, tossing every 5 minutes.

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube




Comments

  1. Lyndsay, this looks marvelous, and I love that it's a crockpot recipe! It seems like the only things I make in my crockpot are potroasts or melted cheese dips - bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these self effacing posts! When we stand back, and take a look, we are practically all the same. This dish does sound wonderful, and some days wonderful is what I want for dinner, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to make chow mein...it always reminded me of the yucky stuff out of the can that my mom made us when I was young. I don't think I got over that. This one I should really try or your other chow mein recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LYNDS,

    LOOKS AND SOUNDS DIVINE, BUT WE'VE ALL COME 2 EXPECT NOTHING LESS FROM U, MY DEAR.

    INDEED, U R TRULY INDESPENSABLE,
    IRREPLACEABLE,AND ONE IN A MILLION
    IN THE HEARTS OF YER FRIENDS AND FANS
    OF THIS AS WELL AS PAST BLOGS.

    I AM SO BLESSED 2 CALL U MY VERY DEAR FRIEND.

    THANKS 4 THE MEMORIES...

    SO FAR!

    LOVE U, KIDDO.

    TOWANDA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful, warm crock pot recipe Lyndsay! Your chicken chow mein looks just delicious. You have a beautiful blog and I’m so glad to have found it. I’m looking forward to exploring your recipes and seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely recipe, this has been bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Lyndsey, my Mom used to make us chow mein when we were growing up and it was my least favourite dish she made (sorry Mom), lol. It didn't even look appealing. Yours on the other hand looks very tasty. All those yummy veggies. If my Mom had made yours, I wouldn't be so afraid of it now. :o) Thank you so much for linking up to Cookbook Sundays Lyndsay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I have never had chow mein in my life! I just recently won rice cooker/crock pot (I love Internet and online giveaways:) and this would be perfect for the days I work longer hours (Husband cooks then, and I have been trying really hard to come up with a better solution:)
    I have been trying to twist my life around a bit, too, but i still need my lists and my plans. I have the inventory of my freezer on the dry-erase board:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment