Rustic Tomato and Arugula Tart

It's Weekday Wednesday everyone! And with my garden going full throttle, I thought I would share one of my favourite summertime recipes...

Flaky, slightly salty pie crust is topped with creamy Boursin cheese, caramelized onions, wilted arugula lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes.


 Baked until golden, my rustic tomato tart is the perfect thing to serve for a casual lunch, on a picnic, or for a meatless dinner.


Better still, the recipe makes two!

 Visit the printable recipe here: Rustic Tomato and Arugula Tart

And enjoy the easy to follow step by step video.




Ingredients
  • 4 small tomatoes sliced thin
  • pie dough for top and bottom crust (visit my recipe here: Pie Crust)
  • 1 5-oz Garlic Herb Boursin cheese
  • 1 medium white onion cut into thin rings
  • 1 cup arugula
  • 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp pine nuts (optional)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven 400° F.
  2. Heat oil in saute pan. Add onions, salt, pepper and saute over medium high heat until golden, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the arugula and stir wilted- set aside. 
  3. Toast the pine nuts (if you're using them) in the same pan over medium heat just until golden.
  4. Roll each disc of pie crust into a rectangular shape. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and crimp the edges (as per the video)
  5. Spread the cheese in equal amounts in the center of crust.
  6. Place the onion mixture on top of cheese. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and arrange the tomatoes on top of mixture. Bake 30 -35 minutes until golden brown.



Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest
 

Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader


Comments

  1. YUM! I am surprised by the pie dough. I guess I expected a flat bread, or pizza dough, or something different... but, how decadent! I make my own boursin with cream cheese and it is deadly delicious. This tart would be stellar with that flavour comibination! Here's the boursin recipe: http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/2012/08/15/homemade-boursin/
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Valerie! I can't wait to try my hand at making my own boursin cheese!

      Delete

Post a Comment