Make Ahead Scrambled Egg and Chorizo Burritos

Each New Year as it gets underway provides its own kind of busyness and this January has been no different. In fact, it's been so busy or me I can't believe it's almost February! And then I looked at my calendar and realized its already booked almost until the end of May - making it difficult, some days, to live in the moment.

But live in the moment I must, if not for anything else but for my sense of sanity. In the spirit of that, I've begun a practice this year called "mindfulness" which is really just a form of meditation where you bring your thoughts to the present, accept them, and move on. Now I can't guarantee that it works for everyone, but with a mind as busy as mine, I've been giving it the old college try.

It never fails, though, I'll be deep into my own meditative process one minute, and the next I'll be dreaming about how to make the best cake frosting - people, you wouldn't believe how often my mind turns to food and cooking.

But maybe that's a good thing. Maybe measurements are my mindfulness, and meatloaf my mantra - maybe the things we're most interested in can guide our minds back to the present. Ha ha ha! Deep thoughts for a Thursday morning!

Good thing I don't have to make breakfast (or lunch) because I have these wonderful little scrambled egg and chorizo burritos pre-packaged and ready to go!




















If you'd like to get mindful with me and make some of your own, stop by my kitchen and make a batch with me!




Or visit the printable recipe here: Make Ahead Scrambled Egg Chorizo Burritos

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 lb chorizo sausage, removed from casings, cooked and drained
  • 1/2 cup each diced green pepper, onion
  • 2 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes
  • 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
  • 1 heaping tbsp salsa verte
  • 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 10 flour tortillas
Directions
  1. Saute the peppers, and onion over medium high heat in the butter until beginning to soften. Add the hash browns, salt and pepper, and continue to saute until golden and cooked through. Set aside.
  2. Whisk the eggs together with the salsa verte and begin to scramble in a pan treated with olive oil over medium heat.. When the eggs are still somewhat soft, add the sausage and egg mixture and continue to scramble together. Remove from heat when eggs appear to be almost done (as per the video)
  3. Fold in the cheese.
  4. Place 1/2 cup of the egg mixture onto each burrito.
  5. Roll up each tortilla to make burritos, folding in the ends and rolling up. Wrap individually and package in zip-lock freezer bags.
  6. When you're ready to eat, unwrap the burritos, wrap loosely in microwave safe paper towel and heat in the microwave on high power for 1-3 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.
  7. You can also thaw burritos in the refrigerator overnight, then wrap each in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until hot. The thawed burritos can also be deep fried for 3-5 minutes until golden brown and crisp. 
Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest


Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader


Comments

  1. Hello my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I discovered your blog by accident and I immediately liked, because there are so many interesting things. I have joined your followers. If you go too foul. Thank you. Francesca.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment