A scrumptious combination of candied maple chick peas and pecans sit atop a bed of greens, chopped veggies, avocado, and mandarin orange segments. Everything gets tossed in a maple infused salad dressing that is so damn delicious you'll be licking the bowl, and then topped with crumbly, creamy, slightly salty chevre cheese.
The nuts and the chick peas pack enough protein to make this a filling dinner salad for two, or an amazing first course for 4-6!
West Coast Salad
Printable recipe here: West Coast Salad
- 1 – 15 oz can Chickpeas
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cups salad greens
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 cup tinned mandarin orange segments, drained
- Chevre cheese
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Mix the salad dressing ingredients together, cover and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Spread on a parchment lined sheet and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and shake the pan around periodically to promote even browning.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon together.
- Place the roasted chick peas and pecans in a large bowl and coat evenly with the butter and maple syrup mixture.
- Return to the parchment covered pan, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and continue to roast for about 10 minutes. Watch these carefully as you don't want the nuts to burn.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, place the salad greens, veggies, avocado, and mandarin orange segments into a large bowl and toss with about 1/3 cup of the salad dressing or enough to suit your tastes.
- Place on individual plates. Sprinkle with desired amounts of cheese and candied pecans/chick peas