Tomato, Shrimp, and Basil Frittata

Driving home from work today I wasn't sure what to cook for dinner.

And let me tell you, it's been a lousy couple of days.

Cloudy weather, work pressures, and the feeling I'm fighting off a cold have made me slightly less motivated to cook something time consuming, yet still in need of delicious, soul satisfying yumminess.

But what?

Before I left the office I called the Man I Married, aka Poolboy, to see if he could give me any indication of what he might like to have, and while I was at it, I polled my son who is currently home from university.

Their responses:

Son: I'm going to the movies so don't worry about me. I'll have a chunky soup.

Wonderful! (I thought) If TH was having chunky soup, perhaps I could talk the PB into having the same, leaving me free to pick up sushi.

Man I Married: I`m starving so whatever - but I don`t feel like soup.

Great.

So as I drove home, I began thinking about some of the ingredients I had on hand.

Tomatoes out the ying yang
The last basil in my garden, just getting ready to turn
Beautiful fresh eggs from my neighbour's lovely chickens
A package of frozen tiger prawns
Parmesan arregiano
Feta cheese

Eureka!

I had the makings for a tasty frittata.

Flavourful and easy to make, frittatas make a wonderful weeknight meal.
I started by putting a large pot of water that had been seasoned with one tsp coarse sea salt on to boil.

When the water was boiling, I added 2 cups of frozen prawns and let them boil app 2 minutes until tender and pink.

Drain and set aside.

Add to the warm shrimp:
  • 2 chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
The flavours of summer on a chilly fall day...



Set aside.

Beat 6 eggs with a whisk















And pour into a well oiled heated cast iron frying pan set to medium.

Add the shrimp and vegetables

















One cup feta cheese

















1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

















Continue to cook over medium heat until egg begins to bubble (app 5 minutes)

Finish under broiler in oven until frittata is puffy and the cheese is golden brown.

Serve with a green salad and a nice chardonnay.
















For PRINTABLE RECIPE click HERE

Comments

  1. Really looks great! The four cheese frittata was so light,fluffy and delicious!I’ve been meaning to make frittatas more often as nicer breakfasts.That looks lovely, particularly with fresh peas. It's always worth shelling them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment