Roast Beef Sunday Dinner

When I was a kid, we had a family tradition - one I suspect many of you also shared - and that was "Sunday Dinner."


















Summer or winter, rain or shine, it didn't matter.

On Sunday evenings at 5:00 pm - an hour before the Wonderful World of Disney came on - the dining room table would be set and we'd sit down to a roast.






















Pork, beef, chicken, or ham - my mom alternated week by week. Sometimes it would just be immediate family, but more often than not, we had company. And in our house, company was, and still is, a big deal.

A time to gather with friends and family. To express our appreciation and love with a few laughs, a glass of wine, and a beautifully prepared meal.

Each week I was allowed to invite a friend to join us or we would be invited out. I have so many fond memories of trying different varieties of roast and potatoes at the houses of friends. Because roast, like love, is individual to the cook. And though I always enjoyed dinner elsewhere, I always secretly believed my mom's was the best.

Didn't we all?

I guess that's why I've become interested in the cooking and the sharing of food as an adult.To me it's about so much more than eating - it's about tradition. Creating memories that your adult children will one day look back on with fondness and nostalgia...

Evenings spent around the kitchen table, the smell of bread rising, of having a warm cookie right out of the oven with a glass of milk.

There are no substitutes for good food. And a cookie from out of a bag just isn't the same.

In an uncertain world, the certainty of small things - a homemade pie, baby beets you canned from the garden, roast beef dinner - maybe all we have to reconnect to each other, our sense of home and community, and, finally, to ourselves.

***

This week for Sunday dinner I made one of the classic meals my mom prepared and served throughout my life. It's not fancy, but food doesn't have to be fancy to taste good.

The printable recipes can all be accessed here:

Here's the step by step video for putting together a really great Sunday dinner of your own...

 




***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. YUMMO!!!! Now, I ahve to tell you my poor Mother was the world's worst cook! One time shortly after we were married she had us and some other relatives for Sunday dinner (a roast) and asked my poor Joe to "carve the roast". Well, when he got through all the BARK on the outside there was not enough edible meat for one person!!!!!!!! It was embarrassing. for everyone. She just had NO CONCEPT of timing while cooking. Pork chops were like hockey pucks:):) THAT is why I wanted to learn to cook WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny Pinky!

    The PB's mom was similar. She is also famour for overcooking vegetables. Every year at Thanksgiving we have brussel sprouts the size of golf balls and black stuffing (don't ask ;) But there is a certain charm to her bad cooking - none of us would want it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what I made for dinner yesterday? I have fond memories of roast beef, and dinners at my mom's table and also at my grandmother's table, both different and both delicious. I had homemade noodles in the broth of the roast beef yesterday, so yummy. I figured with the hot weather on the way, it was now or never.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what I made for dinner yesterday? I have fond memories of roast beef, and dinners at my mom's table and also at my grandmother's table, both different and both delicious. I had homemade noodles in the broth of the roast beef yesterday, so yummy. I figured with the hot weather on the way, it was now or never.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure what happened to my post? Oh well, guess what I had for dinner yesterday? I have many fond memories of roast beef dinners at my grandmother's table, and also at my mother's table. Both were different, but both delicious. I served homemade noodles in the broth of the roast beef yesterday. Yummy. With the hot weather headed our way, I figured it was now or never.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment