The Dog Whisperer as Diet Guru?

With everything going on in Japan, there is a part of me that feels a little silly writing about food, life, or diet while so many have suffered or are suffering.

But sometimes we need silly.

Especially during times of crisis when the world is forced to sit back and watch helplessly as a country is thrown into devastation.

I want to acknowledge for all of us in other parts of the world that just because we continue to go about our business, doesn't mean we care any less.

For Japan, and let's not forget Haiti, these are times of crisis; I encourage anyone who would like to do something to make a difference but isn't sure how, to check out the following websites.

Many of these are specific to Canada, but it's pretty easy to find their American counterparts by googling.

Red Cross
ADRA Canada
Christian World Relief
Doctors without Borders
Unicef Canada
Plan Canada
World Vision Canada

Think about what you can afford to give, then - in the immortal words of Nike - just do it.

I will too.

***

Getting back to silly...

On the diet front, things are going remarkably well.

As of today I am officially two weeks in with no sign of giving up or giving in.

But I have discovered through this process of journaling that food isn't really the issue with me - like my predecessors on Celebrity Rehab (I told you we were getting back to silly) poor lifestyle choices are merely the band aids I tend to reach for to cope when life becomes stressful or overwhelming.

Further to that, March is always a good month for me.

Do other people experience this, that some months are better than others?

I know I've written about it before, and have awareness of my "seasons" but the rub is that I have yet to conquer them.

Which brings me to silly reality TV reference #2: The Dog Whisperer.

As a dog lover I have become quite enamored of Cesar Milan and his philosophy to "be the pack leader."

But there are many of his teachings that apply to more than just dogs - with another being: don't anticipate stress and hard times before they happen but rather live in the moment.

What Cesar is saying is that just because things have gone a certain way before, doesn't mean they're going to be that way again - especially if we don't give our energy to the anticipation of things going wrong.

Is anyone else having a light bulb moment or is it just me?

I have the power to choose and create my experience - even when life gets hard or takes a downturn, it is my attitude that will dictate how the journey is navigated; and my choices - either positive or negative - will help or hinder as I travel forward.

No matter the road, we have no choice but to move forward.

We do, however, have a choice when it comes to our minds.

Do we let them stay stuck in the past - in the ruts of old experience?

Or do embrace fully - The Present - and trust that it will take us exactly where we need to be going?

And that's the blog!

***

On the menu today:

Blueberry oatmeal
Fruit
Roasted turkey breast with spinach, apple, and mushrooms - lunch
Fruit
Beef and broccoli stir fry - dinner, watch for the recipe...
1 glass red wine

45 minute walk/jog after work

Herbal tea, green tea, water, water, water!

If you missed yesterday's easy and delicious recipe for Tortellini en Brodo, be sure to check it out!



Comments

  1. Your writing about food, my writing about food, or anyone's writing about food is not silly, it is stability, and that is certainly what's needed in times like these. I like to feel that we all are hurting because of the chaos in the world, Japan in particular, but can offer some sense of normalcy in a world that has been turned upside down. So keep on, as I will. Today's entry looks delicious, as do all of your recipes. And good for you for being so successful in your diet. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pattie :-) That is MUCH appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment