Magical Meatloaf

I have a meatloaf recipe on this site that I really like.

But being the flavour junkie that I am, I decided to play around with it and have come up with a new recipe that is simply magical.



Or as magical as a meatloaf can be.

But don't just listen to me... my seventeen year old son TH was licking his plate after this one exclaiming "That's some kind of good meatloaf!" Which is high praise coming from a kid who could subsist indefinately on weiners and beans.

The only downside is there were no leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches because the entire thing was polished off. So for posterity (and my ability to recreate this at a later date) I'm sharing the recipe here.

You will need:


  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 3 large garlic dill pickles, diced
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp pesto sauce
  • 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I like to use Asian chili and garlic sauce but regular hot sauce will do)
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 cup Quaker oats
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
Directions
  1. Mix above ingredients together in a large bowl



2. When well incorporated, press into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with PAM cooking spray and poke holes into the top of the loaf using the end of a wooden spoon.



3. Make the Glaze
In a medium bowl stir together:
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 3-5 shakes hot sauce


4. Pour the glaze over the meatloaf and leave in fridge at least one hour. Can be made ahead at this point, covered well, and frozen.



5. If cooking from frozen, thaw completely before baking.
6. Bake covered in a 350 oven for 60 minutes with a drip pan underneath.Remove cover and bake for an additional 30 minutes. Remove from oven, cover with tin foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

There will be a lot of juice in the pan. After the 30 minute resting time, the meatloaf will easily slide from the pan onto a plate.

Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and veggies.

For extra flavour, spoon the sauce from the pan over the meatloaf.

And voila!

Old fashioned meatloaf served on vintage plates...



It's everyday magic the entire family will love!

Click here for PRINTABLE RECIPE

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Subscribe to me on YouTube


Follow Me on Pinterest


Bring the daily magic of The Kitchen Witch straight to your inbox every time a new one is written.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Or you can subscribe by rss feed...


Subscribe in a reader



Comments

  1. Up to that old magic again, I see!

    I haven't made meat loaf in years. In fact, my daughter isn't really sure what it is.

    I'll have to give this a try & "enlighten" her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As meatloaf goes, this one is very, very good! I'm not a big meatloaf fan either but TH and the PB love it - thus, me having to come up with a recipe that I could endorse ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maven, I can only say you are a genius! The idea to poke those holes into the meatloaf is a fantastic idea. Probably does wonders flavoring the meat. I've GOT to try this. I'll get back to you and let you know it's made my meatloaf hating husband turn over a new leaf. I've gone my entire married life doing with out the stuff because I'd be stuck eating the entire loaf. Thanks!!!

    P.s. I'm really liking the pics. So inspiring. Keep creating that magic:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much ground beef goes into this recipe? I don't see any listed in the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 pounds - don't know how I missed that :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment