Healthy Chinese Lemon Chicken

As mentioned in earlier posts, I am in the holiday spirit this year - far more than I've been in a very long time.

And, strange as it may seem, the reason for all this festivity has its roots in the fact my son is coming home for Christmas. I've always believed that our most difficult moments have the potential to bring the greatest joy, learning, and growth and my son being away and grown up exemplifies this for me.

Parents of teenagers, take heed.

No matter how much fear you carry that you've damaged them for life because they're more interested in their friends or X Box Live than you - I say verily, if you have been a good and loving parent, this too shall pass.

How do I know?

Because despite my fears that:

a) My son didn't appreciate me.
b) I was nothing but an entity around the house who cooked and did laundry.
c) Mom jeans were actually flattering and I never should have donated them.

I was thankfully wrong on all three counts.

And tonight after I listened to an amazing idea from TH about one of his film projects, I was filled with gratitude that he has chosen to stay connected to his dad and I - to run things by us and seek our feedback.
He also told me he was feeling badly that, as a starving student, he couldn't afford Christmas presents for us.

I guess he needs to have kids of his own to understand that when he called back with his latest project idea and was excited to talk with me, it was present enough. As are his dinner requests for when he comes home. Another quick and easy family favourite, this one has the benefit of also being healthy - which is always a good idea this time of year!

Why order out when you can put together this wonderfully fresh tasting, healthy take on the perennial Chinese favourite quickly and easily?

Serve over rice or noodles and enjoy!

Chinese Lemon Chicken
For PRINTABLE version click HERE

Prep Time:  30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4-6






















Ingredients
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small strips or pieces
  • 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
  • 1 onion thinly sliced
Marinade
  • 2 green onions, green parts only thinly sliced to garnish
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine, dry sherry, or red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsps freshly grated ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
Sauce
  • 1/3 cup chicken stock
  • freshly squeezed lemon juice and the grated zest from one large lemon
  • 3 tbsp clear honey
  • 1 tbsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp cold water
  • 2 tsp cornstarch

Instructions
  1. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Stir in the chicken, cover, and marinate for 20-30 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, to make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a bowl with 2 tbsps cold water, sitr to combine, set aside.
  3. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in a wok or pan until very hot. Add the chicken in 2 batches and stir fry over high heat for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and well sealed all over. Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside.
  4. Add the remaning oil to the wok and add the onion. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until soft and golden. Pour in the sauce and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
  5. Return the chicken to the wok and stir through the sauce. Simmer for two minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat. Serve immediately over noodles or rice. Sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds and garnish with the green onions.



***

Author:

Lyndsay Wells is a professional trainer, writer, and program developer with a passion for food and cooking. She is an award winning recipe developer, and a website ambassador for Kraft Foods Canada. Lyndsay believes cooking should be approachable and easy and has great tips and ideas for putting together sophisticated looking dishes that cooks of all levels can accomplish.

Visit her daily on her blog, The Kitchen Witch or on her YouTube Channel, CHARMED With The Kitchen Witch.

Facebook Twitter YouTube

Comments

  1. I'm going to ask Tillman to make this for me :) Looks nice and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LYNDS,

    YER KILLIN' ME WITH ALL OF THIS FABULOUSLY DELISH LOOKING/SOUNDING CHINESE FOOD.

    TH IS GONNA B ONE HAPPY, SATISFIED YOUNG MAN WHEN HE GETS HOME 4 THE HOLIDAYS.

    WTG, GF!

    TOWANDA, BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyndsay

    Here are 3 things I also know:

    1. This Lemon Chicken looks absolutely wonderful and I know I would love it.

    2. You sound like such a wonderful and understanding mother and I know that your son loves you (as you do him).

    3. If I was 30 years younger I would want you to adopt me and I know that I would love you too - actually, now that I think about it - how would you feel about adopting an old person??

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment